Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect installation ended prematurly

mjacobs
Level 1
Level 1

Dear fellow cisco enthusiasts. :)

I am experiencing quite a strange situation.

We have upgraded our AnyConnect from version 4.x to 4.5 (04029) on the ASA.

We tested everything and clients started to update automatically when  making VPN connection. For 80% of all people it is working correctly. But now and then we receive an client which has failed to upgrade. The .msi will start a rollback action and when the installation done, no client is left.

I started to troubleshoot on these specific machines to check what is happening.

I’ve tried quite some option for example;

Basic reinstall. No success I receive same error.

Tried to delete known folders;

C:\Program Files (x86\ Cisco

C:\ProgramData\Cisco

C:\%username%\.cisco

Then tried reinstall, still same error.

Found article on cisco community regarding full removal of Anyconnect client which involved all reg keys attachted to Anyconnect client or msi file. Restarted the installation, still same error.

Tried to install older versions e.d. 3.1, 4.0 etc. same error.

So now you are wondering.. what is that specific error.

Well it says “installation ended prematurely” so…. Nothing technical.

I needed a little more information so I installed with specific commands to generate an installation log. (msiexec /i c:\temp\anyconnect-win-4.5.04029-core-vpn-predeploy-k9.msi /lv log.txt)

I received quite a large log, but I could find out at which part its necking the installation.

I hope someone can help me further.

The log file I will add as attachment.

Kind Regards,

MJacobs

5 Replies 5

Bogdan Nita
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Bogdan,

Thanks for the reply. The error code 1603 is trown multiple times in the logging.

I have checked the link you have send me, these steps I have tried but unfortunately the app is not showing in the "app list" or "programs list"

Somewhere, somehow there are still some files left behind. enough files to let Windows believe that there is something installed.

I know Windows is still seeing something because, when I tried to reset Windows 10 to factory default, there is an option to reset the system to factory default, but to keep your files. When I do this, Windows shows an list of applications which you have to reinstall. In this list the application Cisco Anyconnect is in that list.

I have followed the following manual to completely uninstall Cisco Anyconnect.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/vpn/how-to-completely-uninstall-anyconnect/td-p/1557170

Kind Regards,

MJacobs

Hi MJacobs,

I could not find to many details on how to uninstall anyconnect in the link you sent.

I found a more comprehensive guide here:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2003416-cisco-anyconnect-uninstall

HTH

Bogdan

Unfortunately this article didn’t help me further.

After a lot of trouble shooting I decided to do an reinstall of Windows 10 with behold of data.

Before Windows starts to do the reinstall it tells you which software needs to be reinstalled after the process. Guess what.. it tells me that Cisco AnyConnect needs to be reinstalled. So somewhere, somehow there is something left on the machine. So after this process Windows starts back up. Don’t ask me why but I suddenly have an Cisco AnyConnect shortcut on the desktop……

I browse to the Windows Apps list and the program is not listed in the apps list….after a reset to factory defaults…. Quite strange…

Well let’s try if the AnyConnect client will work now as it tells me that the program is installed.

Maybe It will work now.. double click… and the AnyConnect starts right up….

I try to make vpn connection and I receive error. “Bad modules found” it quits the program. I browse back to the apps list… program disappeared……

After this strange experience I decided to perform a clean install of Windows (so without behold of data) after this everything was alright and reinstalled AnyConnect client.

I am completely clueless whats going wrong. During the upgrade from Cisco AnyConnect 4.0.x to 4.5.x we have upgraded around 30 clients? And five clients have gone wrong. Not the same hardware. During the upgrade of AnyConnect something gets damaged (sometimes) and when it does happen, an clean install of Windows looks the only solution, unfortunately.

When any of you guys still have an idea, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

M Jacobs

Hi try with below guide.. http://www.microsolutions.com.lk/cisco-anyconnect-installation-failed-with-prematurely-error/ Regards,
Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB