cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect Issues with ASA Management

Azlan.my07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone. I'm having some problems with the ASA Anyconnect. This is a Firepower 4100 series, and we installed the ASA image and configured the Anyconnect.

We're having trouble connecting Anyconnect after assigning "management-access" to Interface management. For your information, management interface will are using AAA server to interact. We can access it when we set management-access to none, but we can't manage the device ASA via ASDM/SSH after we set to none, even though we had allowed both. but I'm still unable to.

Scenario 1:

After assigning "management-access" to Interface management. I have tried to login anyconnect, after login, its show errors time out. which is we assume ASA unable to communicate to our RADIUS.

Scenario 2:

After set management-access to none, we able to connected Anyconnect, but unable to access ASDM/SSH, however, during the user still connected to VPN, I have change management-access to management interface, and we able to access the device, once disconnected, it cannot connect anymore.

Internally we can access SSH/ASDM, but from Anyconnect we can't.

Do you guys have any idea? Open TAC, but TAC recommend to use Inside interface to management and assign to management-access, as this suggestion we won't agree at all.

Thanks

12 Replies 12

can I see the Anyconnect NAT exception ? 

Hi,

As for now, i don't have any NAT configured. Do i need to configure it? Because this ASA dedicated for anyconnect only.

@Azlan.my07 do you have routing setup specifically for the management interface?

Test communication from the mgmt interface to the AAA servers.

Run "show route management-only" and provide the output. This would be a different route to the normal routing table.

Login to AnyConnect with management-access configured and provide the output of "show aaa-server"

Hi @Rob Ingram 

Yes, I've configured route for management, when I tried to configure management-access without disconnecting my anyconnect, I was able to connect to ASA management but, when I disconnected anyconnect and tried to connect again, it failed.

If you want me to show you an aaa-server with management-access configured, I'll have to connect to anyconnect and configure it first, then I'll try to get it.

Here is our show run aaa server.

aaa-server ServerA (management) host 10.10.10.245
ldap-base-dn DC=ourdomain,DC=Domain,DC=com
ldap-scope subtree
ldap-naming-attribute sAMAccountName
ldap-login-password *********
ldap-login-dn CN=VPN 2 FA,OU=LdapService,DC=exampleMY,DC=Domain,DC=com
server-type microsoft
ldap-attribute-map AD_2FA
aaa-server ServerA protocol ldap

Thanks

I have Opinion here
ASA-AAA
when there is no management interface the ASA connect to AAA via first IP address of Anyconnect Pool , 

when there is management interface the ASA connect to AAA via management IP

that the issue here I think.

Solve by 
use the Interface that direct connect to AAA not use management interface.

Hi @MHM Cisco World 

Thank you for your opinion, you mean I can use other interface such as Inside interface to communicate with AAA server? How about NAT exemption you mentioned? 

If there is no other NAT as you mention  before and thisASA only for any connect so no need NAT exemption.

Any Update do you reconfig the ASA as I suggest ?

@MHM Cisco World No, not yet. I just wanted to let you know that this is a Firepower 4112, so I'm using the ASA image. I can't use the dedicated management interface because it's just for FXOS chasis. So I set the interface eth 1/4 for ASA management, and I found one site that suggested configuring NAT, which I have yet to try.

@MHM Cisco World , I have found in the logs below

Duplicate TCP SYN from BDC-VPN-In:10.18.23.22/52841 to management:10.18.0.1/80 with different sequence number

Do you think this is the issues?

@Azlan.my07 

The management interface does not pass through traffic, so you'd not access that interface directly when connected to the ASA. So I'd expect the trafffic to be routed to the inside interface, hairpin and then access the management interface....assuming it's reachable from the LAN and not an isolated network?

Please provide your configuration?

Can you provide your topology diagram?

Hi @Rob Ingram 

I will PM you