Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect Mobile vs Essentials / Premium License

Hi,

We have an ASA with AnyConnect Essentials and Mobile license.

Based on Cisco documentation, Premium licensing is necessary to achieve Always-On connection on mobile devices (ie. Iphone).

However, there is also an option for "on-demand" VPN which I think work fine with essantials license.

So my questions are,

• Do I absolutely need the Premium license in order to activate "always-on" connection ?
  • What are the main difference between "Always-on" and "On-Demand" feature.

Thanks

Dominic

1 Reply 1

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Where did you find documentation stating tht Always-on requires AnyConnect Premium? The information I have indicates AnyConnect Essentials is sufficient. Quote:

"You can use a Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility license to provide support for always-on VPN in combination with either an AnyConnect Essentials or an AnyConnect Premium license"

source

Always-on is more secure in that you can restrict users from local network access if they are not connected on VPN. On-demand is a bit more flexible as the VPN only need be connected when access to resources at the VPN-secured sites is needed.

In general, AnyConnect Premium is required when you want to use Advanced Endpoint Assessment, Cisco Secure Desktop, or Browser-based (Clientless) SSL VPN. It also allows for the concept of shared licenses (a pool) across a cluster of ASAs.