cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect network stuck on Associating

ashifa1998
Level 1
Level 1

Hello my AnyConnect is preventing me from accessing my wifi as it is stuck on associating. I have tried to disable the network as well as removing it and adding it back again but it is still stuck on Associating. I have also double checked to make sure the password is correct and have ended the task and start it back up again. I would like to know if theres any other solutions to this issue and if anyone else has had this issue too.

14 Replies 14

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we may be needing more clarity, generally we connect Wifi or ethernet to establish VPN connection once interface available ?

or after installing any connect software you not able to join Wireless network ?  as pre i know that is nothing to do with the software any connect stop joining wifi network.

how about anyconnect software exit and connect to wifi ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Athomas581
Level 1
Level 1

Not the proper solution but a quick get around;

Open Task Manager 

Stop anyconnect NAM processes x2

They restart and connection then goes straight thro...

samiiam
Level 1
Level 1

Bumping this thread. 

I found that I can easily connect to my wife’s Pixel 4A mobile hotspot, but all other networks cause an “associating/authenticating” loop. 

The Pixel 4A was running a vpn, but worked regardless of whether that was active or not. 

To note, the networks I’ve failed to connect to: iphone hotspot, ipad hotspot, tmobile 5G hotspot, TPLink router attached to an xfinity modem. 

hope this helps.

-SamIiAm

Hi buddies,

What version of the AnyConnect have you installed on your laptop?

Dominic Morara

Solved. 

My issue lay with the type of connection. The application defaulted to WPA2 security protocol. Manually connecting and then choosing WPA3 allowed me to connect. 

WPA3 is not an option with AnyConnect Version 4.10.08029.  What version of AnyConnect are you using?  

We’re on .08025

To make sure we’re looking in the same place:

1. Click the Gear Icon>Network. Remove network you are trying to connect to. 

2. click “Add”

3. manually fill in boxes and set security to “WPA3 Personal AES”. If that doesn’t work try some of the other security options to see if something sticks. 

-Sam

Sam,

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah we are close.  I am on .0829 myself.  I doubt they would update it and remove the option.  But you never know.  I will downgrade to .0825 and try again.  

When I click on Add, I have the option to fill in the boxes.  There is a dropdown for Security with 16 different options to choose from.  I have Dynamic WEP, Shared WEP, WPA2 (4 flavors), WPA (4 flavors), CCKM Enterprise AES and TKIP, WEP and Open.  No WPA3.  I have checked each one and there is no additional configuration to make it WEP3.  I even tried using each different encryption standard and all of them keep saying Associating.  

Thanks.

If you do not have the option for "WPA3 Personal AES" or "WPA3 Open (OWE)" it is probably because the Authentication policy in your configuration.xml file does not allow it.  You would need to push the new file that enables use of WPA3. 

WPA3-policy.png

Even once you have this WPA3 may not work as we require a Microsoft fix to set key material correctly.  This is noted in the release notes.

I am having this issue as well.  I need to use AnyConnect to access Cisco DevNet's Cisco Modeling Labs.  I am using the latest version I downloaded yesterday.  Version 4.9.04043.  It just keeps saying Associating.  

I can connect using a Samsung Galaxy Note10+.  I can connect to an Xfinity cable modem.  But when I try to connect using an iPhone 12, it just keeps saying Associating.  On the iPhone itself I can see connecting icon in the upper left hand corner blink 3 times then goes away.  After a few minutes it will blink again and the Surface still says Associating.  

I was able to get it to work once.  I uninstalled AnyConnect (I forget the version number) and installed this version 4.9.04043.  When I uninstalled it, the Surface was able to connect to the iPhone again without a problem without AnyConnect.  After I reinstalled AnyConnect and tried the iPhone again it worked fine.  But when I tried to connect again today I started getting Associating again.  Over and over again.  I tried to reinstall AnyConnect and again, the Surface connects WITHOUT AnyConnect.  But once I install AnyConnect it goes to Associating again.  

Now when @Athomas581 said to restart.  Did they mean to restart the laptop, or restart the AnyConnect NAM processes?  I tried that and it did not work.  Maybe I am doing something wrong.  

Thank you.

stsargen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The latest version of AnyConnect 4.x is 4.10.08029, so if you are running 4.9.x there have been several bugs that have been fixed with regards to hotspot connections and WPA3. 

For instance, Fixed in 4.10.07062 https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCwh02741?rfs=qvred

I would suggest testing the latest 4.10.08029.  Also note the caveat in the release notes for 4.10.08025 as it still applies.

We have implemented a Network Access Manager addition to disable the setting of PMF IGTK until a Windows fix becomes available. Microsoft estimates that fixes for Windows 10 22H2 and Windows 11 21H2 (and later) should be available in the first half of calendar year 2024, which will allow you to set the IGTK from the Network Access Manager. Until then, you can disable the setting of PMF IGTK and allow a connection to a network configured to provide Protection of Management Frames (PMF). If the Windows fix is not yet available, and you can't avoid connecting to a network with PMF enabled, you need to modify the Windows registry editor by adding the following registry key as a DWORD and setting it as described to disable the use of IGTK by the Network Access Manager:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Network Access Manager\DisableIGTK set to 1

If you upload a DART bundle with extended logging enabled we may be able to pinpoint the issue.

Ah yes the latest AND greatest.  I forgot.  Yeah I downloaded the recommended download from  https://developer.cisco.com/site/sandbox/anyconnect/  Naturally, I assumed they would recommend the latest AND greatest.   

I did as you suggested and installed Version 4.10.08029 but unfortunately it did not work either.  I still get the Associating message, then it says acquiring IP address and then back to Associating.  

So I tried the fix in the caveat and added the DWORD.  This time when I rebooted and tried to connect it still does the same thing.  Associating.  

I was able to run a diagnostic with extended logging enabled.  I have uploaded the file.  Please let me know what you find.  

Thanks.  

Based on the logs it doesn't look like this is related to any of the issues I was referencing.  I would start by updating your WiFi NIC driver that is nearly 6 years old.  Can other devices using a different Wireless NIC and NAM connect to this hotspot?  It appears the 4-way handshake is not completing after M2 is sent to the phone.  No M3 is received and the connection starts again.

Adapter name: Qualcomm Atheros QCA61x4A Wireless Network Adapter #2
Adapter ID: pci\ven_168c&dev_003e&subsys_3371168c&rev_32
Driver Vendor : <Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.>
Driver Date : <8-24-2018>
Driver Version: <12.0.0.722>

As a matter of fact yes I do.  I have an older Surface that has had no problem connected to the iPhone.  I wanted to use this Surface because it has a USB-C adapter that works with a Dell Docking Station and I can connect 2 monitors to instead of the only one monitor the older Surface allows me to connect to.  When I run Cisco Modeling Labs I can have 10 or more PuTTY windows open and having the additional monitors helps a lot.  I will try to upgrade the driver and see what happens.