Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect not detecting Machine Store Cert for Auth

My Window clients have been enrolled with Machine certs and placed them in the Machine Store. This will be used for AC authentication. When I select the Cert Connection Profile,  AnyConnect cannot find the certificate and I get "Certificate Validation Failure". Funny thing is, I had it working before. I removed the cert, auto-enrolled for machine cert again, and now I can't connect. 

How do I make sure AnyConnect is searching and selecting the correct Certificate for authentication on my machines?

Is there any way I can see this info with a command?

Firepower 2110 btw

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SOLVED!

So it seemed that I needed to run the AnyConnect in Admin privileges in order to get it working. Since I don't want it to work that way, I also found out that I needed to remove SSL from the following areas:

1. Group Policy in FMC - In the General/VPN Protocols menu, only have "IPsec-IKEv2" enabled.

2. VPN Prolfile Editor - make sure the .XML you're using has:

• FMC VPN Connection Profile name as the User Group, not the Group Policy. (IPsec specific, SSL used Group Policy here)
  • Under Connection Information, "IPsec" is selected, ASA gatewas is deselected.

Once SSL was removed, I was able to establish Machine Certificate Authentication without Admin privileges. 

All in all, allowing VPN to connect AC via SSL, you need admin privileges to read Machine Store. If you remove the SSL as an option to connect on the FP, then you force it to use IKEv2 IPSec, in return, AC doesn't need admin privileges to read Machine Store

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Also, The certificate on my firepower is issued by the same root CA server, so the cert path is good on both. Anything else I can look at on the certs from machine and Firepower?

Another thing, my Management Tunnel VPN, which is Machine Cert authenticate, still works. Kinda wierd. Both should be using the same cert but Connection Profile fails. 

Hi,

What is the key usage for your certificate, it should include client
authentication and server authentication. Otherwise it won't work and you
will get certificate not found.

**** please remember to rate useful posts

Well I got it working again BECAUSE I used the same certificate issued to the Firewall by our Root CA. Even though it works, I need to get AnyConnect to recognize the actual Machine certificate that we have on the machine.. 

Key usage, is to authenticate with Machine Certificate only. I only want to allow machines VPN access that have a certificate issued by our CA. 

So in FMC, I know I need to have the Root CA certificate uploaded as a "Trusted CAs" object. Now, since I need to authenticate users certs, do I have to install the Root CA on the "Interface Trustpoint" for my Outside interface?

With AnyConnect the trust point that will be used for VPN authentication should be applied to the FTD outside interface. The FTD would need an identity certificate which will be presented to the AnyConnect clients when they try to initiate the VPN connection.

This behaviour is different with the site-to-site VPN certificate authentication where you can have the authentication trust point configured and used for authentication without having to apply it to the outside interface.

So I have the PFX file that was issued by our internal CA Server, which includes (the identity cert, its private key, and the Root CA cert). It's name is AnyConnect5.pfx and I installed that on the Outside Trustpoint on my firewall. 

For **bleep**-n-gigs, I installed that exact same PFX file, AnyConnect5.pfx,  on my computer, THEN everything works, Cert Authentication and MGMT Tunnel. When I remove the certificates it installed, AnyConnect doesn't want to read the ACTUAL machine cert on my computer and says "No Vailed Cert . . " then "Certificate Validation Failure"

Josue Brenes
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Gilbert,

The AnyConnect must have permission to be able to look for certificates on the machine store.

Those permissions are granted via an xml profile with the certificate store “all” or “machine”, and “certificate store override” checked.

610344CA-FB15-484F-920B-1F0C0AC353E0.jpeg

Rate if it helps.

Regards,

Josue Brenes

TAC - VPN Engineer.

So I removed the Firepowers certificate and after about a half day, the Mgmt tunnel was able to authentice with the machine cert of my laptop. Not sure why it took that long but it works now.  I was able to verify by having my coworker remove the FP cert and about a half day later, his Mgmt tunnel was working with his machine cert. 

I still can't get the regular User (non-Mgmt) VPN Connection Profile to work with machine cert, and I had Certificate Store Override turned. I turned it on and lets see if it works after a half day maybe.

I'll report back with anything else I find. 

Yeah, you need to enable Certificate Store Override, that should allow AnyConnect from a limited user session to interact with the machine certs store. The machine needs to have an identity cert issued by the same CA as the one that issued the cert for the FP.

With CSO enabled, it's still not working. Going to see what TAC says about this. 

So after looking through the DART logs, I see that AC is looking in the User Store, rather than Machine Store. The Profile is set to Machine, not All. Kinda odd. 

Date : 10/16/2020
Time : 09:58:41
Type : Error
Source : acvpnui

Description : Function: ConnectMgr::certAuthHasFailed
File: c:\temp\build\thehoff\orion_mr10.989354729559\orion_mr1\vpn\api\connectmgr.cpp
Line: 16883
Certificate authentication requested from gateway, no valid certs found in users cert store.

Date : 10/16/2020
Time : 09:58:41
Type : Information
Source : acvpnui

Description : Message type warning sent to the user:
No valid certificates available for authentication.

SOLVED!

So it seemed that I needed to run the AnyConnect in Admin privileges in order to get it working. Since I don't want it to work that way, I also found out that I needed to remove SSL from the following areas:

1. Group Policy in FMC - In the General/VPN Protocols menu, only have "IPsec-IKEv2" enabled.

2. VPN Prolfile Editor - make sure the .XML you're using has:

• FMC VPN Connection Profile name as the User Group, not the Group Policy. (IPsec specific, SSL used Group Policy here)
  • Under Connection Information, "IPsec" is selected, ASA gatewas is deselected.

Once SSL was removed, I was able to establish Machine Certificate Authentication without Admin privileges. 

All in all, allowing VPN to connect AC via SSL, you need admin privileges to read Machine Store. If you remove the SSL as an option to connect on the FP, then you force it to use IKEv2 IPSec, in return, AC doesn't need admin privileges to read Machine Store

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: