cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AnyConnect. Phone hotspot works. Home Internet "Could not connect ..."

kuh85
Level 1
Level 1

I am an end user attempting to connect in to work via VPN using AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client from home.  If I use my home Internet connection (Cable modem, either wired or wifi to laptop) I get the error "Could not connect to server.  Please verify internet connectivity and server address."  If I use my phone hotspot connection I am able to connect.  So I believe my client is correctly configured and the issue is either with my cable modem settings or possibly with my internet provider?  What can I look at or test to narrow it down further?  Cable modem security settings are as per below screenshot.  Thank you.

kuh85_0-1708969526371.png

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

check are you able to ping your VPN Server IP  and try https://yourVPNIP is that reachable ? check are you able to resolve DNS for the VPN Domain (if you are not using IP you using FQDN)

For testing i will disable on your provider config block anonymouse requests ( and test) - not that i expect this is the issue, but trying is not harm. (still issue - enable back)

other option contact Provider and explain the issue and see is that dropping at provider side ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

kuh85
Level 1
Level 1

Unfortunately ping response is disabled so I can't use it to get anything useful.  DNS does successfully resolve to the correct IP address.

I tried disabling the 'block anonymous requests' but it didn't make any difference.
During my call with my provider earlier they recommended turning on IPSec Passthrough and PPTP Passthrough.  I have tried all 4 possible combinations of on/off for those 2 settings with no luck.

**Additional Information**.  Last week I could connect to VPN servers in other countries successfully but not the main one here over my home internet.  The one here had been upgraded to be more secure and was the only one I couldn't connect to.  I don't know the details of the upgrade but it has been switched from SSL to IPSec.  However I can't even connect to it to get to the login screen that allows me to switch the selection from SSL to IPSec.  So (speculating wildly in ignorance here) it appears to me that there is an additional protocol or port or something involved in establishing that initial connection to the server that wasn't there before?  Something that could be blocked on one network (cable modem/Internet Provider) and open on another (phone/cellular data network)?

try https://yourVPNIP is that reachable ?

when you mention you able to connect other country - not the one you looking (may be geo location ip block on your VPN server)

have you check with your VPN administrator like those filter in place ?

BB

kuh85
Level 1
Level 1

No response to https://yourVPNIP (using either the server name or the IP address) through my internet provider, my phone hotspot, or when connected to the VPN through my phone hotspot.  So I'm guessing it's disabled/blocked like ping?
I downloaded nmap and ran it against the server across both networks and got the same response in both cases so it appears the basic network connectivity is fine.  It's just something new (protocol?  port?)  in that initial connection conversation before the password window comes up that is the issue.
I've asked if any server side filtering is in place but no response yet.
I confirmed with my internet provider that all their infrastructure is here in country.

p.s.  Other people from around the world are able to successfully connect to this server.  Except for Brasil where IPSec is blocked for some reason.

contact ISP if you not able to use http://vpnip

or check with network administrator asking to troubleshoot with IP your ISP provided (what logs they see on server end )

BB