Views
Helpful
Replies

Anyconnect VPN Pool Recommended size

Martin Swann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There, 

I have recently installed a 2140 FPR Device running ASA Code to increase our VPN Client base.

In setting up the DHCP Clients pools leases I have been allocated a /20, 4096 Devices to use from our allocation dept.

I have looked all over and cannot see a recommended pool size for the clients using 'Anyconnect Profiles' and wondered what the /20 allocated to me should be split into for optimal use as a client pool and make the client expercience as nice as possible.

We use the local IP Address Assignment option on the ASA.

Making maybe 8 /23 Pools, rather than 1x /20. Or would this not be an issues for Anyconnect Clients?

Many thanks

martin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You can make the DHCP Pool for the VPN clients as large as you like, as there is no issue with having a larger a broadcast domain for VPN clients, that only applies on a LAN.

So it's up to you really, you could just create 1 x DHCP scope for the /20, however you might wish to have a couple of smaller scopes for special use cases such as contractors.

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

You can make the DHCP Pool for the VPN clients as large as you like, as there is no issue with having a larger a broadcast domain for VPN clients, that only applies on a LAN.

So it's up to you really, you could just create 1 x DHCP scope for the /20, however you might wish to have a couple of smaller scopes for special use cases such as contractors.

HTH

Thanks so much for responding , and confirming.

danmassa
Level 1
Level 1

FYI:
We have four ASA firewalls running 9.18(4)24 and we have no problem with /20 sized pools.  Of course, we don't run them past 50% utilization so that if one or two ASA fails, and all the users swing over to the remaining ASAs, the pools are large enough to handle it.

We are considering expanding the pools to /19.  Still don't see any foreseeable problems.  We're doing that so that, even if three ASAs fail, the one remaining ASA can handle the entire load and have a large enough pool.