ASA DHCP DNS

alan-wong
Level 1
Level 1

Dear

I am running site to site VPN from site B to site A

site A: 192.168.1.1/24

site B: 192.168.2.1/24

On siteB. I used following DNS in site B DHCP from 5505 ASA.

dhcpd dns 192.168.1.1 202.66.192.68

When the site to site tunnel is working.  It is normal DNS requests from site B to site A DNS.  however, if the site to site tunnel is disconnected, site B not able to request site A DNS and do not jump to second DNS 202.66.192.68.

Can anyone help to resolve.  I want siteB can use secondary DNS: 202.66.192.68 when tunnel is not connected.  Thank you

Alan.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mariusz Bochen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alan,

The fact that you're disconnecting your VPN makes me think you don't need a permanent connectivity, so maybe is better idea to setup remote client VPNs and configure the dns-server as VPN group-policy attribute? It gives more DNS flexibility, split-dns feature and so on. Not sure what is the exact requirement, but I don't think the stuff you're trying to achieve is durable with l2l VPN.

Regards

Mariusz

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mariusz Bochen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Alan,

The fact that you're disconnecting your VPN makes me think you don't need a permanent connectivity, so maybe is better idea to setup remote client VPNs and configure the dns-server as VPN group-policy attribute? It gives more DNS flexibility, split-dns feature and so on. Not sure what is the exact requirement, but I don't think the stuff you're trying to achieve is durable with l2l VPN.

Regards

Mariusz

Dear Mariusz

I would like to know is that possible to jump from Primary DNS to Secondary DNS in case VPN tunnel disconnected by any accidentially reason?

Regards

Alan.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: