cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA error message for user account using pbkdf2

erics08
Beginner
Beginner

Hello, I have a remote company that lost their AnyConnect password to get into our VPN. This hasn't been touched in years and I only have CLI access at this time. Any idea on this error message and how to get around it? I tried using a password that was 33 characters, upper, lowercase, numbers and special character and still got this error message. Any suggestions?

(config)# username remote_user_1 password password123!  pbkdf2  
ERROR: Malformed pbkdf2 hash

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @erics08,

If you want to input username/password in this format, system expects to get hashed password, usually in form $sha512$5000$some_random_characters==.

If you want to reset password and input something manually, then you need to use "username remote_user_1 password password123!", without pbkdf2 keyword.

Kind regards,

Milos

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch?pf=prdNm&kw=Malformed%20pbkdf2%20hash&bt=custV&sb=anfr

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Milos_Jovanovic
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @erics08,

If you want to input username/password in this format, system expects to get hashed password, usually in form $sha512$5000$some_random_characters==.

If you want to reset password and input something manually, then you need to use "username remote_user_1 password password123!", without pbkdf2 keyword.

Kind regards,

Milos

erics08
Beginner
Beginner

@Milos_Jovanovic Thank you, that worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: