Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA VPN Tunnels

CorwynJohnson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm really stuck...

We have a VPN tunnel between two ASA FWs but we're moving one FW off of it's dedicated circuit. We'd like to connect the tunnels with a router in the middle but the tunnels are not coming up. (one FW is MM_WAIT_MSG2 the other MM_WAIT_MSG3). 

any thoughts?

7 Replies 7

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the router in the middle doing any NAT ?

If it isn't then check your routing tables on both firewalls and the router as you now have a L3 hop in between the firewalls.

Jon

Yes the router in the middle is doing NAT

Have you enabled NAT-T (NAT Traversal) on the ASAs ?

Jon

If the router is doing NAT does it have a static translation for the traffic between ASAs? A dynamic translation is likely to be a problem since a dynamic translation typically allows traffic initiated from inside to outside and responses but does not allow traffic initiated from outside.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I've configured a static NAT on the router and enabled NAT-T on one of the FWs (I have access to this one) but I have to depend on the user to ensure he configured NAT-T on his end.

Sorry for the late post, but I figured out the issue was on the customer side he did not have the same pre-shared key for the FWs, when he changed it the tunnel came up.

Thanks everyone. 

Thanks for posting back to the forum to let us know that you have solved this issue and that the problem was a mis-matched shared key.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick