cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 Flash limitations and AnyConnect

Tom Rosenthal
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that Cisco has ceased releasing and security updates to AnyConnect 3.X. The newer version is 4.X and Cisco's recommended Flash is 512MB and our ASA5505s only have 128MB.

I've tried opening TAC cases and was told to contact the reseller so I have verified from 2 different distributors that the ASA5505 does not support a Flash upgrade.

Can anyone supply any supporting Cisco documentation that indicates that the ASA5505 Flash can or cannot be upgraded to 512MB?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Tom Rosenthal ,

I am sorry i completely missed on that . So yes you cannot upgrade the flash . Below is the document

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa83/release/notes/asarn83.html#34956

Refer to section 1) The ASA 5505 does not have a flash memory upgrade available.

thanks
Shakti

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Shakti Kumar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tom Rosenthal ,

You can definitely uprgade your RAM on ASA 5505 . The only limitation i can think of is in terms of code which should be 8.3 minimum . Below URL will be of help .

Memory Requirements for the Cisco ASA Adaptive Security Appliances Software Version 8.3 and Later

If you have any queries you can raise your concern by sending an email to

in_assistant@cisco.com or submit your query at the below link

http://www.cisco.com/web/offer/urls/97150/50/000160114/index.html

Hope that helps

Thanks

Shakti

The link you provided for the "memory requirements....8.3 and later" does not work for me I get a 404 error (not available). Is there anothe rlink you can provide that is accessible?

I am trying to figure out if the ASA5505 can be upgrade to 512MB Flash - (NOT DRAM) and if so what is Cisco's item number so I can order from distribution.

Hi Tom Rosenthal ,

Interestingly , the link 404'd on my side as well :) .

Well  have attached the doc for your reference . I think the memory part number that you need to refer is ASA5505-MEM-512 . I am not sure you can raise your concern on the email and link provided and you would get better assistance reg to part number .

Please mark the answer as correct if it clears your concerns .

Thanks

Shakti .

The memory referenced is the DRAM and not Flash so this article does not help me at all.

Hi Tom Rosenthal ,

I am sorry i completely missed on that . So yes you cannot upgrade the flash . Below is the document

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa83/release/notes/asarn83.html#34956

Refer to section 1) The ASA 5505 does not have a flash memory upgrade available.

thanks
Shakti

Although not officially supported, I upgraded a couple of 5505s with old 512MB and 1GB CF cards. Works fine. If you want to go that way:

1. open the ASA and take out the CF-card
  2. connect the CF card to a PC
  3. copy all files (including hidden ones) to your PC
  4. copy all files to the new card
  5. plug the new card into the ASA

if you miss the hidden files, you lose your licenses, so make sure these are copied to the new CF.