Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5540 SSL VPN License Count

efairbanks
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I should definitely preface this post by saying I am not by an stretch of the imagination an ASA guy...

Does anyone know of a method to determine the maximum number of concurrently used SSL VPN licenses (sessions) on an ASA5540 over a period of time?  For instance, over a week, the MAXIMUM number of concurrent users that were utilizing SSL licenses on the box.  We are trying to determine current license capacity of the device.

We are running 8.2(5) on the ASA itself, and have 6.47 ASDM deployed.

Any help would definitely be appreciated

-Erik

1 Reply 1

johnnykaye
Level 1
Level 1

"We are trying to determine current license capacity of the device."

Hi Erik,

if that's all you want, there is no need for the hassle of measuring actual connections. Just do:

sh ver

and the ASA will tell you about the license capacity regarding SSL VPNs (and then some).

Anyway, say that you get that number, and you are not sure whether the capacity will suffice, then you'd probably want to measure actual connections over time. The most straightforward way I can think of is using SNMP. Do:

sh snmp-server oidlist

and you'll get the full list. SSL VPN ("Web VPN") starts at 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.392.1.3.38. on the ASA I looked at, and you can poll number of current sessions, number of cumulative sessions, and number of sessions at the peak.

Best,

Johnny