cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM takes long time to load after updating to 7.18(1.152)

Daniel LRA
Level 1
Level 1

After updating the ASDM to version 7.18(1.152) (OpenJRE) on my 5506-X ASAs and installing the new launcher on my PC (v.1.9(5)) I noticed that it takes a long time until the ASDM is fully opened. I enter the IP, user and password, login and then the ASDM is displaying "Checking the launcher version compatibility... done" for several minutes.

I found out that the network traffic on those firewalls goes up while trying to connect, which makes me believe that the ASA is sending the whole ASDM image (just a guess) to the client for some reason. Maybe because of the new support for signed images? Waiting several minutes until I can actually do something is a bit too long, especially on sites with a weak internet connection. Is there any fix to this? It's one reason that keeps me from updating more appliances at the moment.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Daniel LRA
Level 1
Level 1

Seems like the problem is fixed. I just updated one appliance to ASDM 7.18.1.160, which installed the ASDM launcher v1.9(7) on my client. With this launcher version I can connect much faster, even on ASAs still running 7.18.1.152.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Daniel LRA
Level 1
Level 1

So from the disk usage of my client I found out that the ASDM downloads the file "C:\Users\Name\.asdm\data\7.18(1)152pdm.sgz" every time you login, but I have no idea how to prevent that.

urdas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NA

ashmatash1
Level 1
Level 1

Its like Cisco is daring us to find another firewall vendor...

OK, challenge accepted.

Pietro67
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here.  Very frustating . I have a lot of ASA around the world with slow connection and it takes to much time to start.

Please fix it !!

numir
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Try this out-

Increase the ASDM Configuration Memory in Windows To increase the ASDM heap memory size, edit the run.bat file by performing the following procedure. 

Step 1 Go to the ASDM installation directory, for example C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\ASDM.

Step 2 Edit the run.bat file with any text editor.

Step 3 In the line that starts with “start javaw.exe”, change the argument prefixed with “-Xmx” to specify your desired heap size. For example, change it to -Xmx768M for 768 MB or -Xmx1G for 1 GB.

Step 4 Save the run.bat file.

This memory change doesn't fix the problem at all still takes minutes to load at original startup. Very frustrating.

I used it -Xms1024m  -Xmx4096m and asdm works quite ok. You can see that java has some problem with memory handling.

He intentado hacer el procedimiento que indicas, pero persiste la falla. He modificado tambien el XMS al mismo valor del XMX, para mi caso a 1024 y funciona perfecto.

ForTheHorde
Level 1
Level 1

looks like 7.19 is out

For The alliance! Tried it out , 7.19 sucks too.

Rolando Bega
Level 1
Level 1

Same problem here with 7.19.

I used it -Xms1024m  -Xmx4096m and asdm works quite ok. You can see that java has some problem with memory handling.

Thank you gmik_pl, your solution doesn't fix my issue even with higher "-Xms" and "-Xmx" value.

I had many problems with asdm. Changes to run.bat helped. I am currently using asdm with open jre 7.18.1.152 built in.