Helpful
Replies

Assigning static addresses with a DHCP Server in AnyConnect VPN

rchockeelopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

This is the topology:

Internet ---- ASA ------LAN ----DHCP Server (Windows)

The customers wants to assign static addreses through AnyConnect with a Windows DHCP Server. Is it possible?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Have a look at my teammate  Hsings response to a similar question here on the forum as this may help.

Assign an IP from ISE for every User

hslai

Best regards,

Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pcarco
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

If you are assigning IP addresses with and External DHCP server i.e; Microsoft you may want to look into Manageig reservations.

An alternative to ensure that a vpn user has a static ip address would be to use AD and creat a LDAP Attribute map for the users if you are authentication or authorizing via AD/LDAP

Active Directory Enforcement of "Assign a Static IP Address" for IPsec and SVC Tunnels

The AD attribute is msRADIUSFramedIPAddress. The attribute is configured in AD User Properties, Dial-in tab, "Assign a Static IP Address".

Here are the steps:
1.On the AD server, under user Properties, Dial-in tab, "Assign a Static IP Address", enter the value of the IP Address in order to assign to the IPsec/SVC session (10.20.30.6).

2.On the ASA create a an ldap-attribute-map with this mapping:

5540-1# show running-config ldap
ldap attribute-map Assign-IP
  map-name msRADIUSFrameIPAdddress IETF-Radius-Framed-IP-Address
5540-1#

3.On the ASA, verify the vpn-address-assigment is configured to include "vpn-addr-assign-aaa":

5520-1(config)# show runn all vpn-addr-assign
vpn-addr-assign aaa
no vpn-addr-assign dhcp
vpn-addr-assign local
5520-1(config)#

4.Establish the IPsec/SVC Remote Authority (RA) sessions and verify the with "show vpn-sessiondb remote|svc" that the "Assigned IP" field is correct (10.20.30.6).

ASA Use of LDAP Attribute Maps Configuration Example - Cisco

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks a lot.

I found to make it work. I forgot to mention that the customer has ISE as a radius server and that we were trying MAC-IP reservations based on user-AD. It did not work with Windows DHCP Server MAC-IP reservations. So we made it work with ISE.

The only disadvantage is that is not practical to add rules for each user and MAC-address. For example if there are 50 users with MAC-IP reservations we need to create 50 rules in ISE. If there is some other way to manage the reservations on the Windows DHCP Server instead of the ISE?

DHCP - ISE.png

DHCP - ISE - 3.png

Some links that can be helpful.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11923261/assign-static-ip-address-asa-vpn-clients-ise

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/11695526/ise-and-static-ip-assigment

Thanks.

Regards.

Hello,

Have a look at my teammate  Hsings response to a similar question here on the forum as this may help.

Assign an IP from ISE for every User

hslai

Best regards,

Paul

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: