Views
Helpful
Replies

Avocent CPS1610 Console server

Will Hrudey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

From some prior posts on this support site, I see that people have used the CPS1610 successfully to manage serial console connections to their Cisco routing and switching hardware.

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of how it integrates into ones network ... my home lab in my case for CCNP certification.

I have 7 routers/switches that I want console access via IP.  With the idea being that I can sit at my desktop and gain console access to these units from my desktop machine via my LAN to the networked CPS1610. 

Also, can someone help me understand the cable pinouts used from the CPS1610 to Cisco console ports?  Are they straight thru RJ-45 terminated cables?   crossovers? rollovers? 

I am looking to buy a used CPS1610 off ebay so I would like to gain insight into whats involved in getting it up and running smoothly and in a timely fashion.

Thank you in advance,

Will

2 Replies 2

johnnykman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Will, you probably figured this out by now or moved to another terminal server? I have a CPS-1610 and made cables with the following pin-out to connect to a Cisco 3550 and Juniper EX-4200. The only trouble I have is with history (up arrow), auto complete (TAB) and quit but I don't think these are cable related?

1 <> 1

2 <> 2

3 <> 4

4 <> 3

5 <> 6

6 <> 5

7 <> 7

8 <> 8

Regards,

John K.

I know this is a millions years old, but the pinout i used is below. Currently using CPS 1610 in a lab environment with ASA5540, Catalyst 3750G and Nexus 5672

1 -- 8

2 -- 2

3 -- 4

4 -- 3

5 -- 6

6 -- 5

7 -- 7

8 -- 1