cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BSOD problem with VPN Client

jimgurley
Level 1
Level 1

I use VPN Client 5.0.06.0110 to connect my home computer to my office, which has an ASA5505.  If my immediate network connection to the PC client is  lost while the VPN is active, I get a BSOD.  There's no problem if my DSL drops or a cable beyond my router is unplugged.  It only (and always) fails if the network cable to the PC running the VPN Client is diconnected (or if my router loses power) while the link is connected. 

I'm running:

Windows 7 (all updates installed)

Core2 Pentium

4gb ram

Atheros L1 Gigabit 10/100/1000 Controller

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

BTW, here is the description for your reference:

PC reboots if physical link is disrupted during a VPN connection

Symptom:
The PC reboots (user may also see a Blue Screen  Of Death (BSOD) before the reboot, depending on the setting of the PC)  if the physical link is disrupted during a VPN connection (i.e. when you  see the message "A network cable is unplugged).  This can happen if you  issue 'shutdown' on the switch port your PC is connected to, powering  off the SOHO router (or switch) the PC is connected to, losing your WiFi  connection, or even unplugging the LAN cable on your wired Ethernet  port.

Conditions:
Loss of physical connection during a VPN Connection.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Your description fits perfectly with bugID: CSCtd08761

http://tools.cisco.com/Support/BugToolKit/search/getBugDetails.do?method=fetchBugDetails&bugId=CSCtd08761

Fix for your version is available in VPN Client version 5.0.6(0160). Please feel free to uninstall your version and upgrade it to 5.0.6(0160).

Hope that helps.

Unfortunately, "Your Cisco Guest Login is not entitled to use Bug Toolkit.", so I can neither look at the article nor (presumably) download the update.

Since you only have guest access, please kindly contact your local IT admin within your company who should have access to view the bug and/or download the software from cisco.com download site.

BTW, here is the description for your reference:

PC reboots if physical link is disrupted during a VPN connection

Symptom:
The PC reboots (user may also see a Blue Screen  Of Death (BSOD) before the reboot, depending on the setting of the PC)  if the physical link is disrupted during a VPN connection (i.e. when you  see the message "A network cable is unplugged).  This can happen if you  issue 'shutdown' on the switch port your PC is connected to, powering  off the SOHO router (or switch) the PC is connected to, losing your WiFi  connection, or even unplugging the LAN cable on your wired Ethernet  port.

Conditions:
Loss of physical connection during a VPN Connection.

Thanks for the actual article.  We get our client s/w from the local hospital.  I'll start the ball rolling on finding the right person...

Great, and all the best..

Pls kindly mark the post as answered so others can learn from your post. Thank you.