Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 series can't telnet in

djohnson
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning.

First time poster and a newbie when it comes to these switches. The person who took care of this for us and provided us with these switches fell ill and is no longer able to help us so I am trying to learn on the run. 

The  lay out we have is a cable modem (that supports 5 ip's) comes in to switch 1 (catalyst 2950 series) from there branches out; 1 to a router, 2 to a router, 3 to a camera system, which all supports their own public ip addresses. 

Router 1 then branches down to Switch 2 (also a catalyst 2950 series)

The issue we have is we want to telnet into a server that is on switch 2 but we are not getting any connection. We can remote desktop as well as FTP into other servers behind switch 2

I can telnet into the server by either accessing Interoffice IP or Public IP but when I get out of office network it won't connect which is why it leads me to believe that switch 1 is not configured or configured properly. 

To the best of my knowledge the guy who provided us with the switched never set them up. Not that I have ever seen as well as one time when one went bad he just dropped one off and we hooked it up.

I am not sure once programmed does it hold it in memory or does it need to be reconfigured after power outages for long periods of time.

Thank You

Don

1 Reply 1

Luke Oxley
Level 1
Level 1
[@djohnson@frabonis.com],

Thanks for your post, I'd be happy to assist with your issue.
So let me get a better understanding of your network topology and situation. You have an ISP modem which is connected to switch 1, connected to switch 1 we have Router1, Router2 and a camera system. Router1 is then connected to switch 2 and switch 2 is in turn connected to the server in question. Your issue is that you can connect to the server using telnet when internally behind router 1, but if you go outside of the office on your home connection for example and try to access this server using telnet, you are unable to? If this is correct, I have three questions.

1. Does this server have a public IP address or does it have a private IP address that is being NAT'd?

2. Is Router1 handling NAT for everything sat behind it, including the server you are having issues connecting to?
3. Are you able to telnet to the server if your machine is plugged directly into switch 2?
Let me know how you get along, I am sure we can remedy this for you.

Thanks,
Luke

FYI - once a switch has been configured and the configuration saved to the flash memory then it will not lose this configuration even after multiple reloads or extended periods of downtime.

Please rate helpful posts and mark correct answers.