cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 SSH NAT Issue...

hybridmoments82
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 1841 router and an issue connecting to my Windows Terminal Server via RDP over WAN. Using the LAN IP, any computer can connect to the server via RDP, however using the WAN almost immediately returns an error. The part that makes this complicated for me is that the WAN IP is pingable, and not only that, but port scans suggest 3389 is open and responding. No timeouts, no refusals. This tells me the router's NAT is working fine, and flawless LAN connectivity over RDP suggests the server's configuration is fine. Something here has to be wrong.

I'm brand new to SSH and Cisco routers in general. Maybe I did something wrong setting up the NAT, but I would expect that if I did do it wrong, port 3389 over the WAN would come back either timed out or refused, right? Anyway, my SSH router config is attached. I removed my public IP and replaced it with "public IP 1" in the text file.

I'm all out of troubleshooting options. Any suggestions?

2 Replies 2

shamax_1983
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Brandon,

Your configs looks ok to me. But may be you can try

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.10 3389 3389 extendable

instead of

ip nat inside source static tcp 192.168.1.10 3389 interface FastEthernet0/0 3389

If it still doesn't work, try disabling windows firewall and check again..

Please rate this post if helpful..

Thanks

Shamal

Hello Brandon

I dont think all those nat statements are required as you are using - PAT so each inside ip address from the 192.168.x.x will be translated to your public ip using a different  port number ranging from 1023 to 65xxx

i understand you are trying to specify a particular port for RDP but have you test it without all these statements?

And also add RDP in your exclusions on the comptuers O/S fw

res

paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul