cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 800 series router (model C891FW) - Best approach for using an additional router?

kcamroccm
Level 1
Level 1

I work for the patent and trademark office, and they require use of the cisco 800 series router, which utilizes a VPN. This router is connected to a Netgear router, which is connected to our internet service.

Every day or so, the internet crashes, and its not my ISP or the modem. It is the Netgear router downstream of my 800 series. I suspect my Netgear (nighthawk, relatively new) product is getting thrown off by my government required, outdated cisco box.

Are there known routers that would work more efficiently with my setup? And/or is there known compatibility between the 800 series and other routers operating together?

Thank you for your time- 

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both should work as expected , may use case in this community using, we would like to see your Ciscop 800 Router config also what Logs you see when you have issue ?

when you said you have issue, there is no ISP issue ? how did you tested ? connecting to netgrear router ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Config and logs are not releasable, considered a matter of national security.

It has been confirmed that it is not my ISP or my modem, both through their customer support, and identifying my modem's signal when the issue occurs, it does not drop connection.

Every time the issue happens, I need to restart my Netgear router to get the household signal back on line. When the cisco 800 series router is unplugged, it solves the problem.

I need to restart my Netgear router to get the household signal back on line. When the cisco 800 series router is unplugged, it solves the problem.

there is contriductory here, one you saying you need to restart netgear router, other side you need to unplug Cisco router, which one correct ?

when it happend to be next time issue, do 1 at a time like below .

1. capture the cisco side logs (show Logs ?) - from router prompt - are you able to ping the gateway ? are you able to ping the netgear router (before you restart anything ?)

2. eliminate for some time think cisco router, connect your device to netgear router and check is the internetwork ?

by now you know what is causing issue,  by rebooting all device restoring not the best solution to identify what device causing.

This is your network and you need stand and tell us how we can help here.,  (we know every ISP tell us there is no issue on their end, we need to prove and get solution working by identify the issue ?)

as i mentioned cisco sold more than expected this routers, and they are rugged i know.

by the way what kind of internet speed.

post full model of the device and show version to see if we can help any further.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

"there is contriductory here, one you saying you need to restart netgear router, other side you need to unplug Cisco router, which one correct ?"

-No contradiction...I mean that when the cisco isn't plugged in, the netgear never needs restarting, and never has the issue where it crashes (which is a daily annoyance).

I have 1 gb down 40 mb up; xfinity. The model is C891FW. Basically I have a third party modem, connected to the Netgear router, and then have cat-5 wired throughout the walls. This is how the Cisco connects to the internet, a hardline into the Netgear.

Sorry for accidental double post.

"there is contriductory here, one you saying you need to restart netgear router, other side you need to unplug Cisco router, which one correct ?"

-No contradiction...I mean that when the cisco isn't plugged in, the netgear never needs restarting, and never has the issue where it crashes (which is a daily annoyance).

I have 1 gb down 40 mb up; xfinity. The model is C891FW. Basically I have a third party modem, connected to the Netgear router, and then have cat-5 wired throughout the walls. This is how the Cisco connects to the internet, a hardline into the Netgear.