cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect Auto Update

Ricky Sandhu
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone, I've been looking all over for this but can't seem to find it on any guides, websites etc.

The Auto Update feature on Cisco Anyconnect VPN Profile (Preferences Part 1), how does it work?  Does it look into the flash to see if there is a newer version of the Anyconnect webdeploy....pkg file?  

Reason I am asking, I have Auto Update disabled globally on all my ASAs as I've run into issues with users that don't have admin rights on their laptops.  However now I am trying to push the Umbrella Roaming module and I believe it needs the Auto Update to be enabled.  My plan is to remove all other webdeploy.pkg version from the flash and leave the one that we have running on 99.9% of the laptops out there.  In this case, Auto Update won't want to update the clients since it's the same version.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AnyConnect auto update checks the version that is provided by the client software as part of the connection process. If the version doesn't match the one specified in your ASA then the update is attempted. An AnyConnect version update should not require admin rights on the end user machine if an earlier version of AnyConnect is already installed.

If you deploy a newer version outside the ASA-based process (say with manual install, SCCM etc.) it will continue to work fine with any ASA having an earlier release.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

AnyConnect auto update checks the version that is provided by the client software as part of the connection process. If the version doesn't match the one specified in your ASA then the update is attempted. An AnyConnect version update should not require admin rights on the end user machine if an earlier version of AnyConnect is already installed.

If you deploy a newer version outside the ASA-based process (say with manual install, SCCM etc.) it will continue to work fine with any ASA having an earlier release.

Hi @Marvin Rhoads,

Can you point to the part of the official Cisco documentation that says this? I was trying to find it in the documentation, but no luck. We have Anyconnect client installed on the user computers (different versions - from 4.6 to 4.10) and would like to put on ASA 4.10 version but not sure what to expect according to admin rights on the user computers. Most users don't have admin rights and we don't want to have a problem with auto-update to break the Anyconnect on many computers at once.

@domac385  I don't have a published reference- I believe it was covered in a Cisco partner training session.

You can certainly test if yourself to confirm.

Ricky Sandhu
Level 1
Level 1

Marvin, this is great. Thank you for clarifying.  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: