I work for a company that uses Cisco Anyconnect for our VPN. We also use Umbrella for security when on/off network.
Everything was working fine, but recently the following thing started happening.
When using WiFI:
1) Roaming Security/Umbrella shows GREEN when not connected to VPN.
2) I dial in to VPN and authenticate.
3) Umbrella stays green for a couple of minutes, then turns RED. It never comes back to green. All DNS lookups and network requests start failing. Laptop becomes unusable.
Disconnecting/Reconnecting/Rebooting/Reinstalling CISCO client does not help.
When using Ethernet
1) Umbrella shows RED when not connected to VPN.
2) I connect to VPN and authenticate.
3) Umbrella now becomes green. But sometimes, it will become RED after some time. Disconnect/Reconnect will fix it until it happens again.
On ethernet connection is flaky. It works most of the time.
I look at /opt/cisco/anyconnect/umbrella/data/beacon-logs/service/acumbrellacore.log logfile on my Mac, and I see that the logfile has message like "Encrypted probe failure" when the connection goes down.
Some googling indicated that IPV6 causes this problem. I disabled IPv6. I have rebooted the laptop and it doesnt fix anything.
Is there any way to do a local override and disable Umbrella.
My Anyconnect Version: 4.10.04071
OS Version: Mac OS Monterey v12.4 (Version 12.4 (Build 21F79))
Please help! My mac on WIFI has become unusable with VPN. I wont be able to work when I travel.
as per points you expressed, i suspect VPN DNS settings. have any changes done in anyconnect client profiles? seems like your PC unable to connect DNS while you are connected to VPN. check that as a first step
Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue Good luck KB