cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect with Azure Single Sign-On failing with problem retrieving SSO cookie

Michael Fox
Level 1
Level 1

I am having a problem with my configuration of AnyConnect authentication using Azure Single Sign-On. This configuration was done following the "Configure a SAML 2.0 Identity Provider (IdP)" & "Example SAML 2.0 and Onelogin" sections of the following Cisco CLI Book 3 document:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/security/asa/asa96/configuration/vpn/asa-96-vpn-config/webvpn-configure-users.html

When connecting I am getting the message "Authentication failed due to problem retrieving the single sign-on cookie." and within the ASDM logs I am getting "Failed to consume SAML assertion. reason: The profile cannot verify a signature on the message."

So far I have double checked my certificates, URL's and edited the request signature with no change.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

18 Replies 18

Good morning @J. H. 

We have the same setup and the same issue, although ours is intermittent.

Did you get any resulution?

dbooth
Level 1
Level 1

I recently performed an upgrade of an ASA from v9.8. SAML authentication with multiple tunnel groups worked fine before but after upgrading we started seeing the dreaded single sign-on cookie message after users attempted to authenticate. I've done some testing using later versions and I am finding that any tunnel group with a . (dot/full stop) in the name cause this error, while other tunnel groups on the same ASA work fine.

Giorgos_Mama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. I had the same issue.

Check once again the certificate downloaded from Azure. That was my fault and resolved after I added the correct cert.

By running the command debug webvpn saml 255

I was getting the error

“[SAML] consume_assertion: Failed to verify signature.

[saml] webvpn_login_primary_username: SAML assertion validation failed”

I also had this issue. In my case it happened after a failover while running 9.16.x.something. We had different connection profiles with different Azure applications and thus different IdP certificates. It did still work for one group, but not anymore for the others.

We then directly upgraded to 9.18.4.22 and used the new feature to pin the IdP certificate in the connection profile corresponding to its Azure application. After that the authentication immediately started to work again.