cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ASAv License confusion

Gary Blackburn
Level 1
Level 1

We want to start using Cisco ASAv hosting in Azure and wanted to check what licensing we need. All we want to use it for is AnyConnect VPN. From what I can read, I will need Cisco ASAv10 and this will give me 250 AnyConnect sessions.

A few questions I have are:

1. Are there any other licenses I need for Cisco AnyConnect?

2. I have see VPN Plus/VPN only licenses. Do I need one of these also?

2. Would it give me entitlement to download Cisco AnyConnect v4 and updates when they are released?

3. Would I also have access to download ASA updates to update the software on the ASA itself?

Thank you. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Von perpetual licenses means that you bought vpn  for a certain amount of users and you don't need to renew these tokens you use anyconnect. However these licenses can't be shared across different ASAs. For anyconnect download, you must purchase SWSS contact (support contact) which gives you the possibility to download the software and future updates and also open TAC cases. 

Support contract for ASAv or physical appliances are time based which means need to be renewed every 1, 3 or 5 years depending on which contract length you choose.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

ASAv10 can host 250 anyconnect vpns.. However, anyconnect licenses aren't included.

You'll need to buy them separately.  

You're right, you can buy plus or vpn only licenses.

Vpn only are permanent vs plus are based on a period of 1, 3 or 5 years. They're are cheaper than VPN only. You can check with your account team.

Once you bought anyconnect, you'll be able to access Cisco portal to download anyconnect software.

For asav, you should have a contract to get access on Cisco software portal.

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Thank you for your reply.

Certainly sounds like I almost had it right! haha. Just to clear it up a little more though. With the VPN only license, will I have access to AnyConenct v4 indefinitely then as you mentioned that VPN only is permanent? Also does the contract to access asav updates come with the ASAv10 license and is that timed or permanent?

Thank to again

Gary

Von perpetual licenses means that you bought vpn  for a certain amount of users and you don't need to renew these tokens you use anyconnect. However these licenses can't be shared across different ASAs. For anyconnect download, you must purchase SWSS contact (support contact) which gives you the possibility to download the software and future updates and also open TAC cases. 

Support contract for ASAv or physical appliances are time based which means need to be renewed every 1, 3 or 5 years depending on which contract length you choose.

Thanks
Francesco

Gary Blackburn
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your help on this.

Gary