cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client on windows 8

eXPlosion
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Windows 8 Enterprise with Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0440 and Aladdin Etoken. When i try to connect to my VPN server i get message: "Could not load certificate ... from store Microsoft User Certificate. Reason: store empty. If you are using a smartcard or token containing a certificate, verify that it is plugged in and try again."

I found on blog that says to use Computer cert store instead of Users store, but when i delete user cert and import in computer store cert, VPN client cannot see any certs from there. The certificate is automatically installed in user store again when i remove and put my etoken in usb again. How to make VPN client use Computer store certificate?

12 Replies 12

eXPlosion
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone has a workaround to this problem?

Do you face the same issue with windows 7?

I am asking this because IPsec VPN client is not supported with Windows 8.

It has never been tested with windows 8 and its not in the roadmap as well.

Jeet Kumar

Windows 7 works with no problems.

Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1.

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/12/solved-windows-8-and-windows-81-cisco.html#.Us2_4dJDu_E

Regards,

Naresh

No luck, still same error.

As mentioned by Jeet, vpn client on Windows 8 machines is not supported.

You can also use Shrew Soft VPN Client. It works on Win8/8.1.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

So what did you meant by saying:

Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1.

Shrew soft VPN does not support Alladin etoken authentication or i do not notice something.

Xatrix_tolik
Level 1
Level 1

Will be this issue repair by CISCO for Windows 8/8.1?

sc456_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Give TheGreenBow IPSEC VPN Client a try. It supports Windows 8 x64 and eTokens and there is a free trial.

Just got a try greenbow. I'm stuck on IKE phase 1. Getting the error

20140615 18:45:51:749 Default (SA Gateway-P1) SEND phase 1 Main Mode  [SA] [VID] [VID] [VID] [VID] [VID]
20140615 18:45:51:766 Default message_validate_notify: protocol not supported

Should i try different IKE negotiation parameters?

First, try TheGreenBow's online troubleshooter. If that doesn't work, you can try their general support or simply contact them directly.