cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring multiple peer IPs for Site-to-Site VPN on a Firewall Context

Hassan Mwangi
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a Cisco 5585 ASA Firewall version 9.1. I am running the context mode to cater for my different cloud customers. I have a new customer who needs a Site-to-Site VPN to a remote location. The remote location have three peers IPs configured in fail-over mode which i need to configure on my end.

Please advise if in this is possible and how to go about the configuration.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You could do that, but then you would need a crypto map for each peer matching also the crypto ACL and transform set.  With a dynamic vpn you only need to configure it once.

But of course if you enter all 3 manually you have more controll of what VPNs you have set up...just more work.

--

Please remember to select a correct answer and rate helpful posts

--

View solution in original post

A context is just like any stand-alone firewall, just virtualized. I have done it and it worked fine for me.

--

--

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

You could set up the ASA with a dynamic crypto map.  That way the ASA will accept VPN connections from dynamically assigned IPs on the remote host, so long as all other parameters match up the vpn will be established.

Have a look at this link for the configuration:

https://www.fir3net.com/Firewalls/Cisco/how-to-configure-a-cisco-asa-site-to-site-vpn-between-a-static-and-dynamic-ip-based-peers.html

--

--

Hi Marius,

This is possible and have done it in a router or an ASA without the context. You are able to create the different crypto maps for each of the failover peers.

But how about in a context firewall? Anyone who has done it and has worked?

A context is just like any stand-alone firewall, just virtualized. I have done it and it worked fine for me.

--

--

The above is correct. The firewall context is the same as the non-context firewall and below is a sample congifuration that worked for me.

# set peer XXX.XXX.XXX.145 XXX.XXX.XXX.156 XXX.XXX.XXX.29

# tunnel-group XXX.XXX.XXX.145 type ipsec-l2l

# tunnel-group XXX.XXX.XXX.145 ipsec-attributes

(config-tunnel-ipsec)# pre-shared-key ***********

# tunnel-group XXX.XXX.XXX.156 type ipsec-l2l

# tunnel-group XXX.XXX.XXX.156 ipsec-attributes

(config-tunnel-ipsec)# pre-shared-key ***********

# tunnel-group XXX.XXX.XXX.29 type ipsec-l2l

# tunnel-group XXX.XXX.XXX.29 ipsec-attributes

(config-tunnel-ipsec)# pre-shared-key **********

Walter Astori
Level 1
Level 1

I think that you must specify multiple peers with the command :

crypto map 15 outiside_map 15 set peer XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX YYY.YYY.YYY.YYY ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ

You could do that, but then you would need a crypto map for each peer matching also the crypto ACL and transform set.  With a dynamic vpn you only need to configure it once.

But of course if you enter all 3 manually you have more controll of what VPNs you have set up...just more work.

--

--
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: