cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connection speed for VPN?

barry.roberts
Level 1
Level 1

We have a small network (5 PCs running Win 2000 Pro) and a server with NT4. The boss wants to establish a VPN so that he can work from home in the evening. The idea is to connect via ADSL. The problem we are having trying to get consistent advice on connection speed. Some people have suggested that due to high contention rates on ADSL and the fact that our own software appears to be quite "data heavy" (don't ask me how heavy) we should have a 2mb ADSL connection. As ADSL is primarily for downloading from the internet, the upload speed is generally half the download speed. We only have access to cable ADSL here and even if we have a 2mb connection, the max upload speed is only 256k. I think that it will be so slow that the boss will end up staying late at the office and we will be spending about £3600 for two 2mb connections that we don't end up using! What speeds do other people connect at for their VPNs?

1 Reply 1

martin.miller
Level 1
Level 1

From what you have said, I would agree that 2meg would be OTT. What "Data Heavy" software are you using? If it's heavy database type type stuff then I have used "Windows Terminal Server" to solve this and a 500k ADSL would be more than enough.

If however you are using heavy graphics software then it would be more of an issue and Windows Terminal Server would not work that well.

I have worked at the end of a ADSL VPN for well over a year and have been very happy with it, but it depends the type of work you do.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Martin

(Bristol, UK)