cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console port troubleshooting

turbow5PCgamer
Level 1
Level 1

First, thanks for attempting to answer the question. I have a USB-console port. From my desktop PC, I can't use it, I'm not sure why, it just never connects. I was able to hook it up to my laptop and it worked fine. Set up line vty and was able to get to the switch/routers from my desktop only from vty. Ok, that's great! But today I turned on my lab, opened Tera Term and it didn't work. Odd... Ok well I'll just hook up the good ol' console port and see why not. NOPE. Still nothing. Just a black screen.

So right now I'm not sure what to do. If I can't get into my lab, can I do a config reset? Ideas on why it's just refusing connection? Anything would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

ON your PC, are you actually seeing the COM port that represents the serial port the "USB serial" cable is using?  also, is this a mini USB going into your switch./router or is this a USB<>serial conversion cable?

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

It seems to me that there are two questions (or two issues) in the original post. One issue is whether there is something wrong with the lab equipment? And the second question is whether the USB console cable works on the desktop PC? And it seems to me that problems with the lab equipment might produce symptoms that look like the USB console is not working.

So I suggest solving issue #1 first. Get the USB console connected to the laptop (was was known to be working) and investigate the lab equipment. Once you are sure that the lab equipment is working correctly then investigate the USB console on the desktop PC. On the desktop make sure that your emulator (TeraTerm or whatever) is correctly configured (has the correct COM port, the correct line speed, etc).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

My Lab doesn't have mini USB (switch2950/router2620), and it's just a USB <> Serial.

Think the issue is on a different side though. I am able to ping anything in my lab. I'll use a switch to give you the idea.

I can ping the switch, but the switch cannot ping me. so I did a show mac-address-table and it indeed did have my mac address out fe0/6. of course it probably just got that through the ping. So why can't it ping my computer?

The setup is literally, that switch, hooked up to a dummy switch, hooked up to me.

Ideas?