cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

dial-out modem pool

kevinhamel
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out the best architecture for setting up a pool of modems available strictly for dialing out. I'll have 1 server, maybe 2 or 3 eventually, making to outgoing calls.

From what I've read, a 3600 series router with a DM module and a T1 or PRI, or a ASx300 are the best options. I doubt more than 23/24 lines will ever be needed, so I assume a 3600 is good enough.

My questions are these:

What are the options for the servers to connect to and use the modems? I've read about the DialOut/EZ software from Tactical, but if I can forgo the expense by telnetting to the modems, that would be preferrable.

How could the server be making serveral calls simultaneously? Meaning, when it tries to initiate a connection, does it always connect to the same IP and simply pick up the first available modem, or is each modem individually addressable? If it uses the same IP, how will simultaneous calls with via telnet?

Also, what is the syntax for passing the dial-out phone number and such? Are they just regular modem commands passed via the telnet connection?

I had difficulty finding info about dial-out options compared to all the dial-up access documentation. Any help or links to documents would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

makchitale
Level 6
Level 6

Your Q) What are the options for the servers to connect to and use the modems? I've read about the DialOut/EZ software from Tactical, but if I can forgo the expense by telnetting to the modems, that would be preferrable.

A)What type of calls are these going to be? PPP or exec sessions? Dialout/ez is the recommended way however you can do scripting on the server to do the same job. Also using an external RADIUS server too can do the job in which based on the authenticated name we can have a profile that contains the dialout string etc.

Your Q) How could the server be making several calls simultaneously? Meaning, when it tries to initiate a connection, does it always connect to the same IP and simply pick up the first available modem, or is each modem individually addressable? If it uses the same IP, how will simultaneous calls with via telnet?

A) The modems are used on a round robin basis & then next available basis, under the lines x thru y, we have the “rotary 1” configured. Basically the server (on the LAN) will be accessing the modems using, “telnet <7001 or 5001 etc>” where the 1 tags to the 1 in “rotary 1”

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/univgate/ps501/products_configuration_example09186a00800a1992.shtml

Your Q) Also, what is the syntax for passing the dial-out phone number and such? Are they just regular modem commands passed via the telnet connection?

A)ATDT

Your Q) I had difficulty finding info about dial-out options compared to all the dial-up access documentation. Any help or links to documents would be appreciated.

A) On Cisco.com search for LSDO (that is large scale dialout”

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps4911/products_configuration_example09186a0080107d01.shtml

Thanks, Mak