Views
Helpful
Replies

Dialer Watch,ISDN link and IRB

bsyoung
Level 1
Level 1

Hi tepetal,

We have two routers currently running IRB via their serial line (there is actually another router in the middle to bridge). I am thinking of using ISDN to back up this line. However I understand that ISDN does not support IRB. Is it possible to use Dialer Watch on the ISDN BRI(which is protocol independant) to backup the serial line ? Thanks.

Thanks so much for all your help in this week.

2 Replies 2

Hello,

I am not sure if dialer watch works, you still need a valid route to watch...

Have you tried to configure bridging for the ISDN backup ? Without knowing the specifics of your configuration, here is what it could look like:

bridge 1 protocol ieee

!

interface FastEthernet0/0

ip address 172.16.1.1 255.255.255.0

bridge-group 1

!

interface Serial0/1

backup interface Dialer 1

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

bridge-group 1

!

interface Dialer1

ip address 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

dialer remote-name Remote

dialer string 5042115

dialer-group 1

ppp authentication chap

bridge-group 1

!

access-list 202 permit 0x0000 0xFFFF

dialer-list 1 protocol bridge list 202

Basically, the access list defines all bridged traffic as interesting, and the dialer interface is configured as the backup for the serial interface.

This is the configuration for the calling router, if both sides are supposed to be able to initiate a call, configure the other side equally.

Obviously, the chosen IP addresses are arbitrary and most likely look completely different in your setup...

Can you try and see if this works ?

Regards,

GP

Thanks GP,

The problem as per Cisco is that IRB is not supported over ISDN. So I have to figured out another way to do this. Thanks.