cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable IPv6 in ASA AnyConnect

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Is there someway to turn off the IPv6 feature of AnyConnect on the ASA; we run ver 9.5(2)?

We assign IPv4 addresses to clients via DHCP. We don't use IPv6 anywhere in our network - v6 has been disabled.

We created a client profile to disable IPv4 by changing the option to just IPv4 as:

Applied via ASDM to AnyConnect Client Profile, Preferences (Part 1) --

IP Protocol Supported

IPv4

and applied to global webvpn:

webvpn
  anyconnect profiles PROFILE_NAME disk0:/profile_name.xml

We continue to receive this syslog message:
%ASA-4-722051: Group <VPN5Policy> User <UserName> IP <174.xxx.xxx.xxx> IPv4 Address <10.yyy.yyy.yyy> IPv6 address <::> assigned to session

Thank you
Frank

7 Replies 7

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Frank

I have used the option in the AnyConnect profile to disable IPv6 and have found it effective. I am not sure why it is not working for you. Is it possible that some users do not have the correct profile?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Once a user logs in - Windows - checking the DOS prompt, ipconfig /all, the Cisco AnyConnect Security .... adapter does not show anything related to IPv6!!! Which is good.

However, the ASA still forwards the syslog message:

Jan 04 2017 11:13:32 10.xxx.xxx.xxx : %ASA-4-722051: Group <RemoteAccessPolicy> User <fsebera> IP <xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx> IPv4 Address <10.yyy.yyy.yyy> IPv6 address <::> assigned to session

Perhaps this is just a cosmetic message and nothing more.

Thanks

Frank

Frank

If the IPv6 address really is :: then it is the null address (equivalent to IPv4 0.0.0.0) and I would assume that for your version of code the syslog message has that format built that includes the IPv6 data. So it would be a cosmetic issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Richard,

Follow up - Cisco TAC indicates there is no way to remove the IPv6 <::> portion of the address assignment from the IPv4 assignment syslog message. Cisco TAC indicates you can disable the syslog message (no logging messge 722051), however this obviously removes the entire syslog message which creates more of an issue than it fixes.

Thanks

Frank

Frank

Thanks for the follow up confirming that the IPv6 reference is built into the format of the syslog message and can not be removed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

As of 2017, I would consider planning the IPv6 dual-stack introduction gradually in your network. It is advisable to do it before forced to introduce it in a rush. (-:

Peter,

Clearly, you don't work in or understand my environment. In my environment, designing your own path will set you packing.

BTW, do you have any insight into the question at hand?

Thanks

Frank