cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN Design using ISP Dialup Redundancy

joeferdinandi
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working on a new DMVPN configuration with one 3745 at the hub site and a 1711 the spoke. I have DSL/PPPoE for the primary line at the spoke and a POTs line for dial backup. I have two tunnel interfaces on both the hub and the spoke. Upon failure of the primary line I will dial a local ISP and re-establish the VPN tunnel to the hub. Currently my VPN tunnel is coming up fine on my primary. When I fail the primary my dial backup is triggered but the VPN negotion fails. The debug message that I receive at the hub is 'peer matches *none* of the profiles'. I use the same 'crypto ipsec profile' for both the primary and backup tunnels. Since the profile works for the primary, I would think it should work for the backup. Does anyone have any suggestions on how tho troubleshoot this? Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Thanks.

4 Replies 4

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

I am also trying something similair to this and I am stuck, did you get a solution for this??

Guys, Can you send over your config so I can review. I am doing a similar design and cant even get the dial to the ISP to authenticate.

jroy@goremote.com

562-305-9545

This does work.. I had this tested as proof of concept. Basically, I monitored a given EIGRP propagated route, and forced a dial once that route disappeared.

I did run into an issue, in that in order to establish the dial tunnel, the router has to know how to get to it's destination.

In the case of ISP DHCP, you have a default route to the ISP, which routes traffic to your GRE tunnel endpoint correctly. In the case of PPPoE or Dial, you need to specify yourself, since you aren't passed a default route on connection.

The trick is, if you're running PPPoE as a primary, with Dial backup. You really require two static routes pointing to different interfaces. Failover works fine assuming you physically unplug the DSL interface, as the router will remove the primary static...leaving the static pointing to your Async interface.

If something on the backend DSL goes down however, your tunnel dies, but your physical interface stays up, the dynamic routes disappear, your spoke will dial the ISP, but will still have a valid default route pointing to your "unusable" DSL interface for all your traffic.

The only way I could figure around that routing problem was to put 2 internet facing interfaces on my hub router, and configure one to handle normal DSL tunnels, and a second to handle ISP backup tunnel traffic. This way you can manually add two host routes on your spokes, one pointing out E1 for your Tunnel1 endpoint, and the second pointing out Async1 for your Tunnel2 endpoint.

There is also a bug I ran into running 12.2(13)ZH code on the spokes, where it would drop the tunnel (say..on an IP release/renew from the ISP), and never renegotiate. The only partially stable release I've found thus far has been 12.3(4)T4.

interface Tunnel1

description GRE Tunnel to Head

bandwidth 640

ip address 10.x.x.x

ip mtu 1416

ip nhrp authentication xxxx

ip nhrp map 10.x.x.1 209.x.x.x.1

ip nhrp network-id 1000

ip nhrp holdtime 300

ip nhrp nhs 10.x.x.1

no ip route-cache

delay 1000

tunnel source Ethernet1

tunnel destination 209.x.x.1

tunnel key 1000

tunnel protection ipsec profile vpn

!

interface Tunnel2

description Dialup Tunnel

ip address 10.x.x.x

no ip redirects

ip mtu 1416

ip nhrp authentication Sigfr13d

ip nhrp map 10.x.x.x 209.x.x.x

ip nhrp network-id 1001

ip nhrp holdtime 300

ip nhrp nhs 10.x.x.x

delay 10000

tunnel source Async1

tunnel destination 209.x.x.x

tunnel key 1001

tunnel protection ipsec profile vpn

!

interface Async1

description DialWatch to ISP

bandwidth 56

ip address negotiated

encapsulation ppp

shutdown

dialer in-band

dialer string 555-5555

dialer redial interval 90 attempts 3

dialer watch-group 1

dialer-group 1

no peer default ip address

ppp authentication chap callin

ppp pap sent-username xxxx password 7 xxxxx

!

ip route 209.x.x.1 255.255.255.255 E1

ip route 209.x.x.2 255.255.255.255 Async1

Then rely on EIGRP to give your spokes the rest of the routes it requires, and avoid configuring a GWofLR route on it.

Hi, I need to do this configuration, but I´m lost...Anyone can send some comfiguration example hub and spoke....thanks...Juliano