cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error in AnyConnect Client installation

scherenkov1
Level 1
Level 1

During re-installation of Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client I have the error: "The VPN client agent was unable to create the interprocess communication depot."

Can I fix this error? What should be done?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This is seen when internet connection sharing is enabled. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is not compatible with AnyConnect. You must disable ICS for proper AnyConnect functionality.
 When you try to launch AnyConnect on a PC on which ICS is already running, AnyConnect returns this error message:

The vpn client agent was unable to create the interprocess communication depot.

In order to resolve this issue, disable the ICS and launch again AnyConnect.

How to disable ICS
A) Open Network Connectivity
1) Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center
-> Manage network connections
2) Right-Click the connection and then click the Sharing tab and dont't allow other
network users to connect through this computer's internet connections check box.

B) Service stop
Computer right click -> Manegement -> Service and Application -> service ->
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ->Stop

Regards,

Kanwal

Note: Please mark answers if they are helpful.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

This is seen when internet connection sharing is enabled. Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is not compatible with AnyConnect. You must disable ICS for proper AnyConnect functionality.
 When you try to launch AnyConnect on a PC on which ICS is already running, AnyConnect returns this error message:

The vpn client agent was unable to create the interprocess communication depot.

In order to resolve this issue, disable the ICS and launch again AnyConnect.

How to disable ICS
A) Open Network Connectivity
1) Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet -> Network and Sharing Center
-> Manage network connections
2) Right-Click the connection and then click the Sharing tab and dont't allow other
network users to connect through this computer's internet connections check box.

B) Service stop
Computer right click -> Manegement -> Service and Application -> service ->
Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) ->Stop

Regards,

Kanwal

Note: Please mark answers if they are helpful.

Thank you very much Kanwal! he problem is closed.

Thank you Sir, it happened to me after resetting my internet settings for some reason. It is working again on my Windows 10 machine.

Sam

its worked..thank sir

Spoiler

Hi,

I got the same problem but I don´t have the "dont't allow other
network users to connect through this computer's internet connections check box"

What can I do now?

This is works for me, Thanks Kanwaljeet Singh

awesome!, thanks it helped me///

I couldn't find the right spot to make the changes in Part A, so I made the change in Part B only, which worked perfectly.   Thank you!

Hello folks,

Microsoft is beginning to utilize the Internet Connection Sharing service with their Microsoft Defender Application Guard (also known as WDAG) and for some organizations that are leveraging new Microsoft security features, disabling the ICS is not advisable.

Is there any hope for development in this area on the Cisco side to accommodate this new virtual adapter approach by Microsoft? There are additional issues as well, such as the item below:

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvp74037/?rfs=iqvred

Any folks who have done hours on end of troubleshooting the error message "Hostscan CSD prelogin verification failed" only to find that the ICS service being enabled for WDAG was the root cause would greatly appreciate it!

grleeson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Just to add, in case someone runs into this error on Windows Server 2008, I got this same error when I had the Network Policy and Access Services role installed.  I was using it for routing.  I removed that service and AnyConnect installed successfully.

RachelGomez161999
Spotlight
Spotlight

Complete these steps:

Obtain the device log file:

Windows XP / Windows 2000:

\Windows\setupapi.log

Windows Vista:

\Windows\Inf\setupapi.app.log

\Windows\Inf\setupapi.dev.logIf you see errors in the setupapi log file, you can turn up verbosity to 0x2000FFFF.

Obtain the MSI installer log file:

If this is an initial web deploy install, this log is located in the per-user temp directory.

\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temp\

Windows Vista:

\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp\If this is an automatic upgrade, this log is in the temp directory of the system:

\Windows\Temp

The filename is in this format: anyconnect-win-x.x.xxxx-k9-install-yyyyyyyyyyyyyy.log. Obtain the most recent file for the version of the client you want to install. The x.xxxx changes based on the version, such as 2.0.0343, and yyyyyyyyyyyyyy is the date and time of the install.

Obtain the PC system information file:

From a Command Prompt/DOS box, type this:

winmsd /nfo c:\msinfo.nfo

Windows Vista:

msinfo32 /nfo c:\msinfo.nfo

Note: After you type into this prompt, wait. It can take between two to five minutes for the file to complete.

Obtain a systeminfo file dump from a Command Prompt:

Windows XP and Windows Vista:

systeminfo c:\sysinfo.txt

Regards,

Rachel Gomez

stevelopez5717
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, Sorry to hear that you're having trouble reinstalling the Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client. The error message you're seeing suggests that the VPN client agent is having trouble creating the interprocess communication depot, which could be due to a variety of reasons. One possible solution is to try running the installation process as an administrator. To do this, right-click on the installation file and select "Run as administrator." This may give the installation process the necessary permissions to create the communication depot. If that doesn't work, you could try uninstalling any existing Cisco AnyConnect software and then reinstalling it from scratch. Make sure to follow the installation instructions carefully and check for any errors during the process. If you're still having trouble, you may want to consider contacting Laurel Installation Service for assistance. They specialize in installing and configuring software and hardware for a wide range of devices and can help you troubleshoot any issues you're experiencing with the installation. I hope this helps!