Views
Helpful
Replies

ESP traffic through FWSM

ANGELO DE MASI
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

I've built a site-to-site VPNs between a PIX and an ASA with traffic passing through an FWSM.

This is the architecture:

LAN1---PIX--------(dmz interface)FWSM(otuside interface)--------ASA----LAN2

The VPNs go up regurarly but I am experencing some performance issue so I am trying to look into the logs.

In the FWSM log I can see a lots of these entries regarding esp protocol traffic between end point peer:

6|Jan 29 2014|13:07:56|302022|||||Built IP protocol 50 connection 144547910545237602 for outside:x.x.x.x(x.x.x.x) to dmz:y.y.y.y (y.y.y.y)

6|Jan 29 2014|13:07:56|302022|||||Built IP protocol 50 connection 144547910545237601 for dmz:x.x.x.x(x.x.x.x) to outside:y.y.y.y (y.y.y.y)

x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y are the vpn peers ip addresses, but I am suspecting some strange behaviour because I see x.x.x.x an y.y.y.y respectively at the same time on outiside interface and on dmz interface during the build of ip protocol 50 connection.

Do you think it is a normal behaviour or it means that it's a fault?

Pls any suggestion will be very appreciated.

Thanks

angelo

6 Replies 6

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Speaking for IPsec, remember that two separate SPI will exist - for inbound and outbound traffic, i.e. at header level those two connections will be seen as two separate flows.

Hi Marcin, thanks for you reply.

Yes I know, I expected two flows for inbound and outbound, it's correct but I don't understand why the FWSM see the same IP incoming both interfaces, dmz and outside. That seems strange. If x.x.x.x is on dmz and y.y.y.y on outside, what does this entry means? :

6|Jan 29 2014|13:07:56|302022|||||Built IP protocol 50 connection 144547910545237602 for outside:x.x.x.x(x.x.x.x) to dmz:y.y.y.y (y.y.y.y).

Hi

angelo

Angelo,

Indeed I didn't spot that, looks possibly buggy.

Not having worked with FWSM for last couple of years I would say it's something messy with local-host or you're leaking packets somehowe ... enable unicast RPF, clear those conns and see if it persists, you might be also interested to check:

1) Sniffer trace

2) TAC/BTK.

HTH,

M.

Hi Marcin,

I just enabled unicast RPF but din't change anything. FWSM always logs "Built IP protocol 50" and "Teardown IP protocol 50" in the same manner. I don't Know what to do?

Any other suggestion?

Possibly due to

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCsy20486/?reffering_site=dumpcr

or similar.

TAC should help you out better :-)

Oh many thanks Marcin, The Bug seems to be indeed my case.

I will investigate much more with TAC.

Thank you again.

Bye

angelo