Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I share my VPN connection via WiFi hotspot on Ubuntu18.04

I am using Cisco AnyConnect version 4.8.02045 on Ubuntu18.04.

Due to GreatFireWall, my cellphone cannot access Google. However, my laptop can access Google with VPN. I tried to share this VPN connection to my cellphone via hotspot. I almost did it for one whole day, but I couldn't make it.

Would someone like to tell me how to make it?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not have experience running a hotspot on a laptop, much less trying to share an AnyConnect from the laptop to a client on the hotspot. But I am guessing that AnyConnect is designed to encrypt packets generated by the laptop and not to encrypt packets generated by some other device that is connected to the laptop.

As I think about it what you are trying to achieve is more like a site to site vpn but AnyConnect is implementing Remote Access vpn. So I doubt that there is a way to achieve your goal of having your cell phone use the AnyConnect on your laptop to access Google.

Having said this it does occur to me that if there is some application that you could run on your laptop that would allow the cell phone to connect to the laptop (something like Remote Desktop) that the request for Google then would be seen as originating from the laptop and AnyConnect could process it.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

You asked an interesting question and I am glad that my response was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I do not have experience running a hotspot on a laptop, much less trying to share an AnyConnect from the laptop to a client on the hotspot. But I am guessing that AnyConnect is designed to encrypt packets generated by the laptop and not to encrypt packets generated by some other device that is connected to the laptop.

As I think about it what you are trying to achieve is more like a site to site vpn but AnyConnect is implementing Remote Access vpn. So I doubt that there is a way to achieve your goal of having your cell phone use the AnyConnect on your laptop to access Google.

Having said this it does occur to me that if there is some application that you could run on your laptop that would allow the cell phone to connect to the laptop (something like Remote Desktop) that the request for Google then would be seen as originating from the laptop and AnyConnect could process it.

HTH

Rick

You asked an interesting question and I am glad that my response was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Thanks Richard!

Your answer is very helpful to me. Cisco want to keep the vpn connection to be security 100%. I understood that is not a bug, which is a feature. LOL.

I would stop my trying on this way, you just saved me a lot of time.

Have a good day!

You are welcome. I am glad that my response was helpful.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: