cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing VPN Client V4.0.1 fails

JamesWyse
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to install Cisco VPN Client V4.0.1.

All goes well until it reaches the Deterministic Network Enhancer, when it stops with the messaage "Add Plugin Failed". OK then gives another message "Error 1722", and procedes to uninstall everyting so far installed.

Has anyone any idea how to overcome this?

Thanks,

Jim

6 Replies 6

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Jim,

If the computer is powered off or loses power during an MSI installation of the VPN Client, the VPN Client may not be registered in Control Panel, and the following may occur when attempting to reinstall:

1) A message may appear stating:

Deterministic Network Enhancer Add Plugin Failed

Click the "OK" button.

2) Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your Support personnel or package vendor. Click the "OK" button.

After clearing the last message box, restart MSI installation. It should successfully install the VPN Client.

This is a open caveat in 4.0.x vpn client.. bug id CSCdx51632

try the solution given above and check if it works.. all the best !!

joe-byers
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem on a Dell 8300 with SP2 newly installed and vpn client 4.0.5b(also tried4.0.3). I also get a "Remove plugin failed" after the "add plugin failed".

I have tried all the suggestions on this website and others. Still get the same problem. The VPN installs, I think, you can run the program but it never connects. Nor will it cancel. The VPN client is stuck in an infinite loop. I should note that the attempt using 4.0.3 did not get the plugin errors but the vpn client could never connect or cancel.

joe

Same exact thing with Windows 2000 Pro, SP4, 4.0.4b client. Was working fine for some time, then seems to have stopped working when some MS auto-updates were applied. When my client went to reinstall, seemed to reinstall no problem but still could not connect. I got involved, attempted first to remove - then found myself staring at 'Remove plugin failed' messages.

Tried removing the DNE first, then uninstalling - same thing. Just about to contact TAC since the machine it is affecting is the owner of one of my largest clients, of course.....

So any updates on this, did you manage to get the Client installed and working on the laptop.

I had the exact problem on my laptop and solved it by following the instruction on the following thread:

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Dpass_through%26location%3Doutline%40%5E1%40%40.eeadf19/0#selected_message

I did have Kerio Personal firewall installed on my laptop and disabling it didnt allow the installation to go through. I had to uninstall Kerio, cleanup the registry, make sure all the devices in device manager were functioning and then reinstall.

I now have ver 4.0.5 installed which is working fine.

joe-byers
Level 1
Level 1

Jim,

I struggled for two weeks with this problem using different versions from 4. to 4.0.5b. Finally installed 4.6 and everything worked fine.