Views
Helpful
Replies

Internet connection permanently broken after first usage of Cisco AnyConnect

DH27
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

some of my colleagues in our company are using Cisco AnyConnect for research purposes of academic journals and other university related papers. However, in the last couple of months four of our PCs, where Cisco Anyconnect is installed, have shown the same problem:

After the installation of Cisco Anyconnect and the first startup, all of our machines lost their internet connection. Strangely, even after disconnecting again from the VPN client, the internet connection did not revive itself. From this point on, the symbol in the taskbar said that there is only a local connection but no internet connection available and none of the machines could connect to the internet anymore.

The problem occures on two PCs that where connected via LAN and on two notebooks that were connected via WIFI. The first workaround I came up with was buying new PCIe network cards, however after working for a couple of days, the same problem started to occur, the moment my colleages started using VPN again. My second workaround was buying USB network adapters, these seem to hold up so far but are not very practical for our notebook users.

On the software side of things, I tried deleting everything from the standard gateway in the adapters settings, I tried to reset the network adapters, updated the cards and changed the DNS server.

Unfortunately I am now lost and have no idea anymore what I could do, so I am hoping to find help in this forum.

Thanks in advance. 

1 Reply 1

Alex Pfeil
Level 7
Level 7

Windows needs to be able to connect to the internet in order to verify the internet connection.  In order to do that, it needs access to DNS, and it needs to be able to reach a public IP address. Are you tunneling all traffic.  I would try looking at what traffic is being tunneled. If it is truly a VPN issue and not a client issue, I believe the fix would be to either use split tunneling and send all of the internet traffic local (not using the VPN), or if you are tunneling all traffic, make sure to allow VPN connections to reach the internet.

Thanks,

Alex