cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSec IKEv2 with PSK more secure than PKI

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

We are moving from IKEv1 to IKEv2 on our hundreds of VPN tunnels. We are being told to use asymmetric PSK because it’s more secure than using PKI and private in-house certificates. I disagree but I’m not the expert in the area. Can anybody clarify how IKEv2 with PSK is more secure than IKEv2 with private certificates.

Thank you

Frank

2 Replies 2

Ikev2 is the next generation encrytion which is more better than ikev1. however the converencge of Ikev2 is more faster compare of ikev1. where ikev1 in phase one have 6 packets where ikev2 4 packet.

now coming to your question is PSK asymmetric is more secure than PKI. no PKI is more secure if you using a public certificate.

- Certificates are more secure than PSK in many ways (as long as private keys remain private

Certificates
Pros:
  • The key used to generate certificates is stored in a single location, separate from the systems using the certificates
  • All systems may be notified of a certificate's compromise via a certificate revocation list (CRL)
  • A compromised certificate only needs to be replaced on the system to which the certificate belongs
  • The public key embedded in a certificate may be larger than a pre-shared key (1024, 2048, 4096, or more)
Cons:
  • Creating/obtaining a certificate is more complicated, time consuming and potentially expensive than using a pre-shared key

Pre-shared keys
Pros:
  • Convenience--no need to go through the complicated process of obtaining a certificate
Cons:
  • If a key is compromised, unauthorized access to the network may be obtained
  • There are more opportunities to get the key because the it is stored on all the IPsec peer systems
  • There is no way to automatically notify the IPsec peers the pre-shared key has been compromised
  • Replacing the pre-shared key requires updating it on all systems, which can be tedious
please do not forget to rate.

Hi Sheraz,

I somehow missed your response until now. My bad.

Thank you for responding and providing good detail. I was expecting there would be a technical reason, something concrete that would spell it out. 

Anyway, Thanks again for your help

Frank