Views
Helpful
Replies

IPSEC (NAT-T/UDP/TCP)

kamal-learn
Level 4
Level 4

hi guys

i ve read somewhere that when all options (NAT-T TCP UDP)are enabled for transporting IPSEC traffic especialy when dealing with PAT, the one that take precedence is the IPSEC/TCP,

however when doing some assessements I find out that the answer were NAT-T is that correct please clarify me that ?

thanks in advance

2 Replies 2

Andrew von Nagy
Level 1
Level 1

My understanding is that IPSec over TCP is preferred when remote clients are traversing a stateful firewall. This is because the stateful firewall can keep track of the TCP session state much better than it can a UDP traffic flow. Also, stateful firewalls are usually configured with a higher session timeout (inactivity) when TCP is in use rather than when UDP is in use.

For remote access VPNs, I have been using TCP without issue. I tried UDP for a while just to compare, and if I let it sit inactive for just a few minutes I would get disconnected. Very annoying.

Andrew

thanks AndrewvonNagy ..

yes indeed i know that when using statefull firewall the correct way to go is to use IPSEC/TCP , IPSEC/UDP will not work. but may be i didnt clarify my question in my first post so the situation is here exactly , you have a 3000 series VPN concentrator , you configured on it the tree option NAT-T IPSEC/TCP IPSEC/UDP what amoung them the VPN will use ? certainly the it will give precedence to only one so which one ??

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: