cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is cisco vpn client supported on analog ppp connection

sebastan_bach
Level 4
Level 4

can someone pls tell me whether we can use cisco vpn client on a analog ppp connection and terminate it on a pix which is not running ppp . if this works then why do we need L2tp/ipsec vpns. can someone pls tell me something abt this. it;s very urgent.

regards

sebastan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sebastan,

If I understand your question correctly, you are talking about using PPP to initially get an IP Address from your Service Provider and then use the VPN Client to VPN into your Pix Firewall. If then, yes this possible.

To name few reasons why PPTP or L2TP/IPSEC is used instead of Cisco VPN Client are:

1. Because companies have been using PPTP or L2TP/IPSEC solution for sometime and are in the process of migrating to Cisco VPNs

2. Do not want to install any vpn client software on the PC's

3. Do not want to pay for VPN Client Software Licensing

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Sebastan,

If I understand your question correctly, you are talking about using PPP to initially get an IP Address from your Service Provider and then use the VPN Client to VPN into your Pix Firewall. If then, yes this possible.

To name few reasons why PPTP or L2TP/IPSEC is used instead of Cisco VPN Client are:

1. Because companies have been using PPTP or L2TP/IPSEC solution for sometime and are in the process of migrating to Cisco VPNs

2. Do not want to install any vpn client software on the PC's

3. Do not want to pay for VPN Client Software Licensing

Let me know if it helps.

Regards,

Arul

hi arul thanks a lot. ok so in the initial days when vpn client solution and all were not available they had to use ppp solution wherein they had to dial in the nas of the company costing a lot for ISD call charges. so L2TP was the solution to carry the pp connection from isp nas to the corporate nas for security it uses ipsec along with it right.

but with vpn client i guess it more easy no need to create local security policy on windows and it also doesn;t support split-tunneling as well.

thanks for clarifying my doubt.

regards

sebastan