cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is there a tool/way to remove and clean-up Cisco uninstalls

muthu.m
Level 1
Level 1

The problem is, the current removal/uninstallations of the Cisco Any connect appliance doesn’t work that well and leaves remanence of older packages behind. The package we deploy should remove it via the MSI we deploy with it, but for some reason the uninstall strong stored in the registry is looking for an EXE which doesn’t get deployed, so won’t fully remove everything.

We’ve also tried installing the new Cisco VPN client that was downloaded and packaged recently. We’re still having issues with that as well.

3 Replies 3

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no official tool to remove/cleanup Cisco AC installs.  Technically the uninstall should assist in that.  I know that on Windows clients the default install dir is: C:\ProgramData\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client

However, there are typically other folders as well which are typically under C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client etc.  You may have to fish around.  TBH if you are completely stuck I would say the last/worst case scenario is a re-image.  

Hi Mike,

Okay thanks. I guess the next piece is, we package up the Cisco client with the MSI, so it should use the MSI to run the removal.

But in the registry and the uninstall string, it references the below which doesn’t exist on the machine.

TRGDD_0-1645472725576.png

This is a very late reply, but it does actually exist, it's just marked as both Hidden and System, and is the app that runs when removing via Programs and Features. The AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client MSI uninstaller is marked as a SystemComponent in the registry, so it doesn't display in that list by default.

PS C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco> Get-Item '.\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\Uninstall.exe' -Force | select Name,Attributes,Mode | fl
Name : Uninstall.exe
Attributes : Hidden, System, Archive
Mode : -a-hs-

Running it with the parameters -remove -silent should (in my experience) remove both the AC Secure Mobility Client and Umbrella, at least for 4.9 and 5.0.
Or, you can remove the MSIs by file or GUID, or even use PowerShell (5.1) package commands:

Get-Package "Cisco AnyConnect*" -Provider msi | Uninstall-Package -Force

Or, do essentially the same thing directly with WMI with something like:

Get-CimInstance -Class Win32_Product -Filter 'Name LIKE "Cisco AnyConnect%"' | % $_.Uninstall()

There's lots of options, but I've found using the built-in uninstaller with the -silent command to be the easiest.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: