cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Monitoring dialup users to a syslog server

walberty
Level 1
Level 1

I want to be able to track dialup users; when they they log on and when they log off, to a syslog server. I am currently doing this with debug aaa authentication and logging debug traps to a syslog server. This produces many more records than I would like to see. Is there any way to filter these, of another way to track user logins?

4 Replies 4

dbellaze
Level 4
Level 4

What type of platform is this?

You can do call tracker or modem record's depending on your IOS/platform, and log this to syslog.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a00800ae938.shtml

Daniel

Thanks for you reply. I am wanting to do this on 2600 platforms, and without the modem modules (simply using external modems on serial interfaces). So Call Tracker is not an option. I am looking further in to the other option mentioned.

Modem record's are not supported on 2600. Those were used before call tracker.

Debbuging and having that log to syslog is the best you are going to get for right now.

I guess you could write a script that checks your router every so often and does a show clock, and show caller timeout. Then you could put the pieces back together and it will be less intensive on your router.

Daniel

If you really want it to go to syslog then there are not many good options other than call tracking (which may or may not be supported in your code) and the debug which you are doing.

At a client where I implemented some dial access features, one of the things that they wanted was the ability to identify when user dial sessions started, when they ended, and the ID of the user. I found that I could easily provide that through accounting records which are sent to the aaa server which we use to authenticate the dial in users. Perhaps this solution could work for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick