cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

more system:running-config / ASA 9.1 multi-context

gneal
Level 1
Level 1

Hey all - I am currently running a ASA 5525X in multiple context mode. I will be standing down one of the contexts in the near future. The plan is to extract the running-config of that context and apply it to a ASA 5505. It appears that you are unable to run "more system:running-config" when the firewall is a context. I need to run this command since we did not document the pre-shared keys in the running-config. Has anyone else run up against this issue?

10 Replies 10

pjain2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you try running the same by going inside a context?

I connect to the firewall (context) named "vpn" via the mgmt IP of that firewall. Once connected I am unable to run the command "more system:running-config". The output below shows that I am connected to the context named "vpn" and am running the command from there.

fw-xyz-ent/vpn# 
fw-xyz-ent/vpn# more system:running-config
                ^
ERROR: % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
fw-xyz-ent/vpn# 

- thanks

I found the fix here:

http://www.bodiddely.com/cisco-asa-view-cleartext-ipsec-pre-shared-key/

Hi Gneal, 

Can you please let me know what the fix was?

I too have multiple contexts and unable to view the preshared keys in each context. 

The URL you have posted is no longer accessible.

Please help.  

You can view your "vpn" context complete configs including PSK's from system context using command “more disk0:/vpn.cfg”.

Make sure you are executing it from system context or first “changeto context system”

- Muhammad Zahid

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for the reply. But my issue is complicated than this. 

The issue is I can't access my disk due to the following bug.

Bug : https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuw95262/

So my intention is to take a copy of the running config of each context (With the pre-shared keys in clear text) before I tackle this issue. (I am planning on upgrading the firmware / rebooting the ASA at a later point). So, since I can't save any configs, I want to take a copy of the running config of each context in clear text. 

Any advice on this?

Use "Solarwinds Kiwi CatTools" to back your configurations; backup need to setup using SNMP and this tool generate backup configs files with PSKs in plain text.

-- Muhammad Zahid

Please Rate Posts (by clicking on Star) and/or Mark Solutions as Accepted, when applies

Hi Muhammad, 

Thank you very much for the idea.

I will try and see how this goes. 

Cheers

Hi Guys, 

After many hours of troubleshooting, the only way I found was to export the config of each context to a tftp server. 

This exported the running config in clear text (including pre shared keys)

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Manpreet24
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @gneal 

more system:running-config run command on both single as well multiple context mode. You just need to understand how it will work on multiple context mode. I have run and tested this command in multiple context. The command is here:

Changeto system

# more  disk0:/<context_name>.cfg

# more  disk0:/<context_name>.cfg | i pre-sh

# more  disk0:/<context_name>.cfg | i snmp