Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple CVPN client behind NetGear router connect to VPN 3k Concentrator

macosx
Level 1
Level 1

Greeting,

I have a situation that multiple Cisco VPN client 3.5.1 at branch office that need to connect via NetGear Router through Cable Modem and then connect back to our HQ that terminated on VPN 3000 Concentrator.

The VPN will established then drop the connect within minutes, if more then one user try to connect.

Could anyone shed some light on how is this might happen? What is alternative solution to solved this? Given the branch has limited budget that purchase a 2611 is prohibited.

Regards,

Kevin Chen

5 Replies 5

awaheed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Kevin,

This is usually seen as a limitation with your PAT device (Netgear in this case). Actually Linksys used to have the same issue which was resolved in the later OS versions, which was the way it handled packets on UDP port 500. Kindly make sure you are running the latest Netgear OS and get in touch with the Netgear support for an answer in this regard, as this is an issue with the intermediatary device.

Regards,

Aamir Waheed,

Cisco Systems, Inc.

CCIE#8933

-=-=-

ptran
Level 1
Level 1

I have no problem access multiple vpn client with ver 3.6.3 back to the VPN 3000 Concentrator. I also using Netgear router as well. Check your VPN client setting and lower down your mtu setting.

what netgear box are you running, I can only get one connection at a time.

umadsen
Level 1
Level 1

If your router does not support pat you need to use IPSEC over TCP. Client and Concentrator 3.6 or later.

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Upgrade your concentrator and your clients to at least 3.6.1. Enable NAT-T on your concentrator and nat transparency on your clients and see if that works. You will need to make sure that UDP port 4500 is allowed through any firewalls.