cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need Dmvpn w/881spoke failover to backup dmvpn hub

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

We have a DMVPN network one primary 2951 hub just for DMVPN, and an second DMVPN in another state is a backup dmvpn hub. Also have several  Cisco 881's setup a spokes.  the primary hub PH2951 went down this weekend. My 881  which had a DMVPN tunnel defined it, lost all connectivity. It could not connect to the backup hub.

I was under the impression that the spokes, kept a database of other spokes and other hubs on how to get to endpoints in the DMVPN infrastructure.

Trying to setup two tunnels on an 881 one to the primary dmvpn hub, another to the secondary with only 1 WAN connection gives an error since the 2nd tunnel needs to use another different wan interface.  Is there any work around? Or should I not need to put the backup hub into the 881's config because the dmvpn database should know where to go if the primary dmvpn hub goes down.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes, you would specify the 2 hubs are you correctly stated. That would give you 2 active tunnels, you could use a dynamic routing protocol delay to prefer 1 tunnel over the other or use the cluster priority command to limit only 1 tunnel. Example here.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

dmooreami
Level 3
Level 3

guessing adding a 2nd static Nhrp map  and multicast under my Tunnel to the backup hub, might do the trick?  since they both would be using Eth4, should work. yes?

Tunnel1

Ip nhrp map 150.1.1.10 172.16.1.10

ip nhrp map multicast 172.16.1.10

ip nhrp map 150.1.1.1 172.16.1.1    

ip nhrp map multicast 172.16.1.1

...bunch left out...

Hi,

Yes, you would specify the 2 hubs are you correctly stated. That would give you 2 active tunnels, you could use a dynamic routing protocol delay to prefer 1 tunnel over the other or use the cluster priority command to limit only 1 tunnel. Example here.

HTH

WOW!! That is a FANTASTIC document you linked to above. Easy to understand and great screen shots of the show commands to verify things are working!

Thanks....I wrote it! :)