Views
Helpful
Replies

Need help setting up a VPN

tim dyck
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 881w and a cisco RV215w and i need to set up a vpn between the two of them. The 881w has a static IP addresss and the RV215w does not. Any ideas about how to go about this?

9 Replies 9

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I am not to sure about RV215w I think it is a residential grade router so the VPN setup on that probably can be accomplished via GUI.  On the 881 just setup a simple site to site IPSec VPN configuration.

Yeah the RV215w does have a gui.

I have never set up a VPN before so I was just making sure that was indeed the correct course of action.

Can you get a static IP at the RV215w site as well?

It would be quite difficult to do, Id rather do it with a dynamic ip address

Ok well if one side has the dynamic IP you'll need to setup a Dynamic map then on the Cisco router, here are good instructions:

http://nat0.net/config-example-static-to-dynamic-ipsec/

U can have Dynamic IP but keep in mind it should be fixed IP.  What happens when router restarts or somthing happens you will be assigned other ip from you ISP.

Regarding Creating Dynamic IP Tunnel i my self dont agree it weakens your security daily u have a lot of attack on your public IP.

** Do Rate Helpful Posts **

Jawad

Ok that shows me how to configure the 881, do I just do the default steps for the RV215?

Some one else might be able to answer that I'm not familiar with the RV215 router.  I think it is one of those Linksys ones and have a GUI.  So you can probably follow some kind of wizard in there.

It does have a gui and a wizard. Ive used the wizard and Im still not being able to connect the two together.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: