cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Outside VPN Client is slow connecting to internal computer using 806 Router

hfamili
Level 1
Level 1

I have an 806 cisco router with the new IOS firmware update. I am using VPN dialer Version 3.6.3 . I am able to connect to the Router and Authenticate. However, once I have established connection with the VPN, when I try to connect to an internal computer with network shares, it takes about 20 to 30 seconds to open each folder. I am not running a Server in the office yet, I am just using the 806 with a client machine plugged straight into it.

However, this is the Strange part? From the internal Machine, I can connect to the outside Client very fast. It's connection speed is almost as fast as a LAN connection.

I have been trying to troubleshoot this issue but I am at a current standstill. I am confident that my commands are right, but I am unsure about :

ip inspect myfw out (under interface Ethernet1)

ip pim bidir-enable

****could this myfw (firewall) slow down the connection speed to the internal machine?

I am struggling and any help would be great.. Thanks

3 Replies 3

k.poplitz
Level 3
Level 3

You may want to try changing the mtu setting on the vpn client to something lower, you can change this by going to start/programs/cisco vpn client/set mtu.

charles.manley
Level 1
Level 1

Do you use AD? We didn't start running into issues like this until we implemented Active Directory. It seems the client is slow to retreive active directory lookups. We still have this problem too.

Actually, I think we just resolved this issue. My VPN client PC and the "inside" PC where both running Windows XP. It turns out that there is a TCP/IP settings in windows where you have to explicitly "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP". The default get setting from DHCP server is no good in this case. The PC that does not have this check box checked will experience slow connection to it (when connecting via \\). In my scenario above, the inside PC did not have the feature enabled. Once we changed that we could get super fast connectivty when using \\ from the remote client.

Thanks for all the help.

Alex.