cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

PIX vpn Question

harvey.dewan
Level 1
Level 1

I have some VPN tunnels setup between a few PIX boxes, and everything works great with the following exception. I cannlt ping the inside interface on the other side of any PIX. I have enabled ICMP any,any for troubleshooting reasons but still no luck.

2 Replies 2

gfullage
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Up until PIX 6.3 code you could not do this, nothing to do with your configuration or setup, you just can't ping a PIX interface from another interface. This is the same as you trying to ping the PIX outside interface from a machine on the inside interface of the same PIX (not over the VPN), you can't do it.

Starting in 6.3 code, we introduced a new command that'll allow you to ping, telnet, SSH, PDM to the inside interface of a PIX if you come in over a VPN tunnel. Just put the following in yor config (after upgrading if necessary):

> management-access inside

See http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/mr.htm#1137951 for details.

matthewtan
Level 1
Level 1

Since you have allowed icmp in your ACL, i was thinking that it might be due to the following config which may be missing.

[no] icmp permit|deny []

You can try putting in the above config to explicitly allow/deny an IP address/network to ping to the particular PIX interface.