problem with isdn backup

sudeesh12
Level 1
Level 1

SiteA----------SiteB

SiteA ---Router's Fa0 X.X.195.100/25

SiteB----Router's Fa0 X.X.198.44/25

I can ping from the Lan (siteA)to the Lan of siteB

when it is connected through Leased line.

But when the Leasedline goes down I can ping only

up to the SiteB's router Fa0 address through the

ISDn backup.I can't ping to the Lan of siteB.

When I ping to the Lan of SiteB I get the reply

thet reply from 10.10.10.3(ie;the virtual int of

SiteB. Please help me to solve this problem.

Thankx

Sud

7 Replies 7

Hello Sud,

are you running a routing protocol between your sites, or are you using static (default) routing ? Can you post your configurations ?

Regards,

GP

pkokhan
Level 1
Level 1

what sort of routing do you have ? can you post the configs?

The configurations of siteA

and Site are attached

Thankx

I think that I understand what is going on and why you are having this problem. It is basically a difference in how you configure your floating static routes. On routerA your floating static route uses the next hop address of routerB 10.210.1.252 100. And this works and packets from LAN of routerA are sent correctly to routerB. However on routerB your floating static route points to inteface dialer1

(ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer1 100)

and routerB is not sure what the next hop is supposed to be so it can not forward the packets. I suggest that you change your floating static route to be:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.210.1.253 100

Try this and let us know what happens.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Sir

I have tried the way you suggest.Still the problem

is there.Now i found one another problem that,After

putting the leased line down and removing this comma nd "ip route X.X.198.32 255.255.255.240 10.10.10.3 "

from routerA the isdn becomes up and I get connection

But when the leased lines becomes up I am not getting

connection with out that command

please help me to sort out this problem

regards

Sud

It looks to me like your router hostname "udvmum" has a default route pointing to the local Fa0/0 interface and you have no default/static route with a lower admin distance pointing to your other site. You have a default route going out the serial interface in the delhi router. When you remove the static route you mention depending on where you send your icmp traffic it may be following that default route to its local FA interface. This could be your problem. Im guessing that this FA interface is some sort of Internet connection. I'd recommend standardizing your methedology for default/static routes. Either go with using the interfaces on both ends or stick to using IP's.

Good Luck

Rick

Sateesh tell us is the lan of site B is directly connected to router or through some managed switch and if so is the subnet of this lan same as the one used by router fa0/0