cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

"The VPN service is not available. Exiting." error when running AnyConnect client on Windows 10

ammtrinidad
Level 1
Level 1

SCENARIO: Recently upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10. Uninstalled previous version of Cisco VPN and installed latest version of Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility VPN client.

ERROR: "The VPN service is not available. Exiting."

Any idea how I can get the service running? I have already tried doing the following and none of it works:

A. Manually start Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Agent service in services.msc but it ALWAYS reverts back to "Stopped".

B. Uninstalled SOPHOS vpn, although both vpn clients were running fine together in Windows 7.

C. Changed compatibility mode of both vpnagent.exe and vpnui.exe to Windows 7.

D. Installed SonicWALL Global VPN Client before installing AnyConnect.

16 Replies 16

Anoop Nair
Level 1
Level 1

I think you need to start your VPN service in "Services"

type "services" in "search the web and windows" in win10 OS

Start - Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client

HTH!!!

Thank you, I already tried doing that but it ALWAYS reverts back to "Stopped". This happens for both "Automatic" and "Manual" startup settings.

I have also tried uninstalling all Cisco-related software before installing AnyConnect again, and the problem still occurs.

Check out this link:-

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/10973306/vpn-agent-service-not-responding

Wov, your answer helped me spot on. Thanks.

Very helpful Anoop

Thanks Bro

Cesar Salazar
Level 1
Level 1

Please try the steps below:

Open up the command line utility and enter: (Administrator)

Run the following commands

netsh winsock reset catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

It works for me.

Ran these commands and restarted the PC, then upgraded the client to fix the issues. 

leiaa_009
Level 1
Level 1

I also had the same problem recently . What fixed it is i ran services.msc in windows run . Then i manually stopped the service by clicking on stop this service. After it was stopped i restarted the service . and viola worked like a charm.Screenshot (25).png

great, thank you!, this worked for me !

Helpful. do so it works for me.

thanks,

U210
Level 1
Level 1

I went into services and disabled my ICS (Internet Connection Sharing); restarted Cisco Any connect VPN,   then it worked.

sfc9982
Level 1
Level 1

I solved the same problem by disabling beta UTF-8 support in Windows' locale setting.