cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

remote access vpn wizard doesn't work?

mdschomburg
Level 1
Level 1

I have a brand new ASA 5505 running version 8.2(5). Got connected with the ASDM and ran the setup wizard and the remote access VPN wizard. I am not able to ping the outside interface from the internet, and my VPN client gets no response when trying to connect. Config is attached. Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

1.) You need the default route for the ASA to be able to send traffic back to the VPN connection initiator

2.) I would imagine that this is something either done manually when creating the basic configuration for the firewall OR perhaps the Startup Wizard would handle this when doing the basic setup of the ASA initially.

- Jouni

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I cant see any default route configured

route outside 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0

Hope this helps

- Jouni

This ASA is intended only to provide remote access for administration of servers on the inside network. No internet access is wanted from inside to outside. I guess I have two questions:

1. When I initiate a connection to the outside IP address from my VPN client, I get no response from the ASA at all. Will adding a default route cause the ASA to respond to the phase 1 packet from the client?

2. If a default route is necessary, why didn't the basic wizard or the VPN wizard mention it?

Hi,

1.) You need the default route for the ASA to be able to send traffic back to the VPN connection initiator

2.) I would imagine that this is something either done manually when creating the basic configuration for the firewall OR perhaps the Startup Wizard would handle this when doing the basic setup of the ASA initially.

- Jouni

Thanks very much for your help. I now realize how obvious the need for the default route is. Just as a point of interest, however, the startup wizard does not configure it. Also resetting the box to factory default does not erase the enable password.

Oh,

To be honest I have never used the graphical interface to build the default configuration for an ASA. I started configuring Cisco firewalls with some old PIX firewalls with old software and did everything with the CLI so it kind stuck with me.

I did now test on my own home ASA 5505 the Startup Wizard but as you say it doesnt seem to give any section where I would configure the default route. (Unless the "outside" was using DHCP to aquire IP address and would therefore get the default route from the DHCP server)

I think the command "clear configure all" might clear all configurations. But not sure.

- Jouni